Looking to buy 986, and was after some advice

sparkywig

There are those on here much better at analysing adverts than me but I cannot see anything wrong with either of those, I assume you will check out the MOT history and the other usual car history checks. I had a 986S so I am biased, I also love speed yellow, my gut feeling is that the first one may have the better history though. The viewing is normally what does it for me, I just get a feeling when I see the right car, not terribly scientific but it has served me well.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve viewed both this morning and have decided against the yellow S. It didn’t feel right for me. 
The Seal Grey is immaculate inside and out though. I’m unsure what to offer bearing in mind the head unit issue, and a yellowing headlight and front discs with a noticeable wear ridge. 

Depends on the condition of the other usual suspects. is the hood in good nick? How about the condensers, radiators? Any noises coming from the suspension - try uneven ground like speed bumps and listen for squeaks or knocks. These are all common areas that need work and if there's no history as to what work has been done you'll have to make a call on which bits are likely to be needing to be done. The ad suggests there is some history I'd go over that with a fine tooth comb. 

2 hours ago, sparkywig said:

I've gone over the service history. Suspension bushes have been done, but there's no sign of a clutch replacement or any RMS or IMS work.

There are essentially 3 expensive jobs on a 986, Clutch/flywheel/RMS, Brakes/caliper refresh all round and suspension arms/joints/bushes/dampers.  And with later cars in the age range you are looking at there is the less robust IMS of course.  Less costly but still need to be considered or budgeted for are air con condensers, header tank, AOS, front engine mount, CV boots.  Look out for these too.  Also a gearbox oil change does make the car better to drive.  Overall condition is more important than low mileage but even then on most 986s you will be looking to spend £1k to £1.5k in year one and possibly similar in year two by the time you throw in a set of tyres, a major service and to tidy up all the bits a previous owner may not have done. Be prepared.