LED road legal conversion - who's done one?

driving_james

21 hours ago, driving_james said:

Did you sail through your MOT?

Thanks for asking. It did indeed! Just the usual advisory about grease on the crossover brake pipes on the calipers - I know its there to reduce corrosion! 

The guy who normally books your car in and takes payment etc. wasn't there and when asked I was told he had recently died, "Covid?" I asked, "No he had the jab and 5 hrs later had massive blood clots and died!". Shocking when it happens to someone you are acquainted with!

A lot has been said about main and dip lights but you also mentioned DRL. The 987 side and fog lights are abysmal and unless you like running around on dipped headlights all day I found that these DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS (DRL) LED FOR PORSCHE BOXSTER 987 2005-08 are excellent bits of kit keep you visible during dull weather. They are a straight swop for the OEM lights and give the front of the car a good visual appearance lift.

IMG_2757(1).jpg

PJO_8840 (3).jpg

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, entdgc said:

Revisiting the whole LED lights question has anyone found a canbus friendly, compact and easy fit LED bulb for the main beams?

^^This

The dipped beams seem to have lots of options. The main beams not so much?

12 hours ago, BBB said:

Rather than buying new light assemblies, I just swapped to LED bulbs for the fog lights and did the DRL hack. I now have super bright DRLs. 

@BBB out of interest which bulbs did you get for the front fogs? Do you get any canbus errors?

Cheers Ady 

12 hours ago, BBB said:

Rather than buying new light assemblies, I just swapped to LED bulbs for the fog lights and did the DRL hack. I now have super bright DRLs. 

Me to. Simple solution. I posted above the bulbs I used.

11 hours ago, AdyG said:

@BBB out of interest which bulbs did you get for the front fogs? Do you get any canbus errors?

Cheers Ady 

These ones @AdyG and no errors.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30W-H11-H8-CREE-FOG-LIGHT-LED-BULBS-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-DRL-BULBS-WHITE-Pair-WG-/264864884376?hash=item3dab2d6698

Edited by BBB

On 8/21/2021 at 3:03 AM, Chigley said:

A lot has been said about main and dip lights but you also mentioned DRL. The 987 side and fog lights are abysmal and unless you like running around on dipped headlights all day I found that these DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS (DRL) LED FOR PORSCHE BOXSTER 987 2005-08 are excellent bits of kit keep you visible during dull weather. They are a straight swop for the OEM lights and give the front of the car a good visual appearance lift.

IMG_2757(1).jpg

PJO_8840 (3).jpg

Thank you @Chigley

1 hour ago, DaveEFI said:

On my 987.2, the daylight running lights are the dip beams. The fogs would be more suitable - how do you change it?

It’s a piwis setting. Have seen both in a 987.2.  Don’t know which is “right” (my 2.9 had fogs, a 3.4 I helped out with had dipped beam )

my current 3.4 has pdls and has different drls ( does not have front fogs at all - apparently when the rears are on the lights “adjust” themselves somehow 

for non xenon/pdls cars it  can be configured either way but needs the diag tools to change it.