LED road legal conversion - who's done one?

driving_james

Hi - I'm a newbie and after a fun couple of weeks with my newly acquired 05 987 - see my post , I've now had the opportunity to do a few drives at night. 

And oh boy I was surprised how ineffectual my dipped and main beams were! Admittedly it was a very dark rainy night, but with my dipped lights I could hardly see a thing.
Now I realise the beams could need adjusting, but it was the low quality of light that most troubled me.

I've seen a few threads about LED conversions, but I can't find anything that gives clarity on what to go for - namely I'd like to be LED road legal and not completely blind oncoming traffic, 

I'm also considering LED for: 
- dipped (H7)
- high beam (H9)
- front fogs (H8)
- daytime running lights (?)
No idea about rear lights e.g. brake lights / indicators / rear fog light or even if they do LED for these

So my question is - has anyone done the whole set? 

Was it worth doing? 

And what (road legal) bulbs did you use and finally, where did you buy them?

Thanks a million!

Edited by driving_james

On my 05 car I swapped the dipped beams to Phillips Ultinon LEDs. They're not the cheapest but they were very simple to fit and I've had no issues with fault codes. And they're a big improvement on the originals with no complaints from oncoming cars.

In theory LED bulbs are not road legal unless you have self levelling and headlight washers. However, mine went through its last MOT with no issues at all. After all, with projector lenses you can't see by looking what bulbs are fitted.

I can't speak for changing all the other lights over so I'll leave that to others.

i presume you're currently running halogens, if you're looking to upgrade to LEDs?

i'd start by finding out what bulbs you have in there at the moment, and where the beam is pointing. if you adjust the beam up a few degrees and then fit some brighter bulbs it'll make a huge difference. best replacement bulbs are either OSRAM nightbreaker 200, or Philips RacingVision GT200.

https://www.osram.com/am/campaigns/nightbreaker.jsp

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-au/car-lights/headlight-bulbs/halogen#halogen

If you are running halogens and convert to LEDs, it's (theoretically) an automatic MOT failure, as per this, slightly blunt notice. However, swapping between LED and halogens takes about 10 minutes per side when MOT time comes and Philips Ultinons make a great upgrade. Beware of any LEDs that consist of a cluster of smaller LED chips - you need a single point source at a very closely defined part of the lamp to avoid ruining the beam pattern and making everyone coming towards you hate you even more.

Edited by AMacdonald
Heading off the usual debate at the pass

13 hours ago, AMacdonald said:

If you are running halogens and convert to LEDs, it's (theoretically) an automatic MOT failure, as per this, slightly blunt notice. However, swapping between LED and halogens takes about 10 minutes per side when MOT time comes and Philips Ultinons make a great upgrade. Beware of any LEDs that consist of a cluster of smaller LED chips - you need a single point source at a very closely defined part of the lamp to avoid ruining the beam pattern and making everyone coming towards you hate you even more.

If I’ve read it right, that notice states that cars manufactured after 1986 will not be failed for LED bulbs as long as the beam/pattern is within tolerance.

Cheers

Rory

I think it's the other way round sadly, unless you have a pre-1986 Boxster. 😀

"For class 3,4,5 and 7 vehicles, the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ only applies to vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986.

Should a vehicle be presented for an MOT test with conversions before 1 April 1986 they must not be failed with immediate effect.

Vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 will continue to be failed."

Thing is that they are not allowed to dismantle things to see what bulbs are fitted at an MOT. So choose LEDs with about the same colour temperature as tungsten - ie not  daylight or blue, and make sure they are correctly aimed. The projector design of dip beams on our cars gives an excellent beam pattern with (decent) LED which will pass the MOT, unlike plain reflector types which can scatter badly. So although likely a reg fail, are not actually anti-social.

1 hour ago, DaveEFI said:

Thing is that they are not allowed to dismantle things to see what bulbs are fitted at an MOT. So choose LEDs with about the same colour temperature as tungsten - ie not  daylight or blue, and make sure they are correctly aimed. The projector design of dip beams on our cars gives an excellent beam pattern with (decent) LED which will pass the MOT, unlike plain reflector types which can scatter badly. So although likely a reg fail, are not actually anti-social.

I have retro fitted Xenon bulbs to my 987.2 with a great result. How do the nighteyes compare? My main beams look positively candle like in comparison, just pathetic TBH.

indeed, the main beam gives higher illumination but it's definitely no brighter than the nighteyes!

it's really hard to evaluate unless you just change 1 bulb, I was actually pretty impressed with the 987 lights - they're much better than my Giulietta and I don't drive much at night.

I just thought I'd try  LED bulbs as they're so easy to change but immediately after changing I was driving in heavy rain and they were terrible, I thought I'd fitted the bulbs incorrectly!

Before getting into lamp upgrades it’s worth making sure the headlight lenses are as clear as possible (cut/polish) and then as others have said be certain the alignments are spot on. 

I went through this loop with my 986 (factory fit Xenon) and there was a significant improvement in light quality and distance. The subsequent installation of new lamps saw another material gain. 

On 8/12/2021 at 5:39 AM, map said:

Before getting into lamp upgrades it’s worth making sure the headlight lenses are as clear as possible (cut/polish) and then as others have said be certain the alignments are spot on. 

I went through this loop with my 986 (factory fit Xenon) and there was a significant improvement in light quality and distance. The subsequent installation of new lamps saw another material gain. 

Thanks. Luckily my lenses are super clear so it's defo a bulb issue

On 8/9/2021 at 11:04 PM, driving_james said:

And oh boy I was surprised how ineffectual my dipped and main beams were! Admittedly it was a very dark rainy night, but with my dipped lights I could hardly see a thing.

987 owner here and though I dont drive much at night I didnt find my lights too bad at all. I have subsequently upgrade to LED's  and it was an improvemnt. It has not yet failed an MOT - ask me again after Thursday! 

FWIW for me 'a very dark night' is better for seeing than dusk as the contrast between dark/light is greater.

35 minutes ago, entdgc said:

987 owner here and though I dont drive much at night I didnt find my lights too bad at all. I have subsequently upgrade to LED's  and it was an improvemnt. It has not yet failed an MOT - ask me again after Thursday! 

FWIW for me 'a very dark night' is better for seeing than dusk as the contrast between dark/light is greater.

@entdgcwhat LED lights did yo upgrade to? And were they for dipped H7 and main H9? 
🤞🏼For Thursday!

I used these....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392519470881

Think I got some of the others from ABD.co.uk "H8 Twenty20 Cree LED 12V Canbus Foglight Bulb" - good company to deal with and helpfull if you need advice...

Dont think I ever got around to doing the mains as at the time I didnt find a simple error free solution. There are a lot of threads on here discussing this...

14 hours ago, Megatonks said:

I've passed MOT at proper testing centre for 4 years with Amazon LED straight-swaps (h4) in my mx5. No problems at all and SUCH an improvement.

Is this what you went for? 
H4 Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit 6000K 60W High Power LED Light Bulb with Cooling Fan Head Lamps, Low Beam/Fog Light Bulb,Pack of 2 £15.99

It was this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IP245SW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had them on the mx5 for 4.5 years and they're still going strong. flawless. Actually better than the xenons on my boxster 987. although i've just replaced the bulbs in it so we'll see if they imrpove a bit over time as i've read they might.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:40 PM, entdgc said:

Did you sail through your MOT?

My 987 was probably equipped with the worst lights of any car I’ve owned and the includes a 6v Beetle.  

Ive had H7 LED lamps in mine for the last 2 MOT tests and not a problem or advisory.   Probably due to the fact that they are behind the projector style lens.  

I rarely drive at night but they actually let you see where you’re going now.  

3 hours ago, sa utah said:

My 987 was probably equipped with the worst lights of any car I’ve owned and the includes a 6v Beetle.  

Ive had H7 LED lamps in mine for the last 2 MOT tests and not a problem or advisory.   Probably due to the fact that they are behind the projector style lens.  

I rarely drive at night but they actually let you see where you’re going now.  

Can you remember @sa utah what make of bulbs you installed?