Quality short shift

Boxsum

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I fitted a 987/997 shift. Not really short or a rifle bolt (didn't want that anyway) but much better than standard and obviously drops straight in.

That’s interesting, is it a shorter action at all? Mine is still very good but it’s just so long between gears. I’ve read that some make it quite notchy and I definitely don’t want that.

5 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

That’s interesting, is it a shorter action at all? Mine is still very good but it’s just so long between gears. I’ve read that some make it quite notchy and I definitely don’t want that.

Total front/back throw is noticeably shorter in the region of 30-40 mm or so in total throw fore/aft.  It is not extreme and definitely not notchy, well no more than the 6 speed box is anyway when cold, part number 997 424 010 00, about £225 from an OPC, you can get them from breakers too or ask around for others who have gone for an after market short shift on a 987 which is how I got mine.  It is what the 986 should have had in the first place IMO.

There is also a factory short shift (IXCZ build code) 996 424 983 00 or 997 424 983 00 if you can find one used or new about £375 from an OPC but I don't know how much the throw is shorter by.

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Total front/back throw is noticeably shorter in the region of 30-40 mm or so in total throw fore/aft.  It is not extreme and definitely not notchy, well no more than the 6 speed box is anyway when cold, part number 997 424 010 00, about £225 from an OPC, you can get them from breakers too or ask around for others who have gone for an after market short shift on a 987 which is how I got mine.  It is what the 986 should have had in the first place IMO.

There is also a factory short shift (IXCZ build code) 996 424 983 00 or 997 424 983 00 if you can find one used or new about £375 from an OPC but I don't know how much the throw is shorter by.

The 997 solution probably sounds ideal, Thankyou.

After owning the car for many years and it not be a daily driver it’s one thing that always disappoints you and let’s the car down when you jump in and go for a blast, can’t see how this was missed really at production as the rest is sooooooo good 👍 

thanks 

If nylon is your gripe then you need the aftermarket metal bushes amongst other metal parts to replace them with. Of all the shortshifters and versions tried on a Boxster I found the OE shortshift with the metal bearings marginally better than the same bearings on a 987 shifter. 

17 minutes ago, edc said:

If nylon is your gripe then you need the aftermarket metal bushes amongst other metal parts to replace them with. Of all the shortshifters and versions tried on a Boxster I found the OE shortshift with the metal bearings marginally better than the same bearings on a 987 shifter. 

My shifter is as snug as a bug, I just find it way too long, but definitely don’t want to end up with stiff and notchy! 

The long shift isn't the nylon then. If it's just length of throw then the best value way is probably a good not too high mileage 987/997 one. 

12 hours ago, Timsky said:

There is a company called Maxpeeding Rods who make a short shift for the Boxster - I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks very good. My son uses their coil overs and shocks in his MX5. 

Just googled it. It looks just like all the other rebranded copies bought from AliExpress or Alibaba.