Renovo query

box100

Hi @box100 I've not used Renovo but plenty here have with decent results generally IIRC. Sure someone will be along soon with direct experience. What I do know is that you must make sure that any product that may be on the roof should be removed so you get even take up of dye. 

• Thanks 1

I used it. Looked great at first but after 6 months of being outside the colour had completely gone back to "normal". My roof is blue and I used their blue dye. Looked great for a week or so. Just paint it on really, but I wouldn't use it again as it's not something I'd like to do as a 6 month routine, just not worth the hassle.

• Thanks 1

Applying Renovo reviver was one of my first jobs when I bought my 987.1 (along with Fabsil Gold) based on redo's on here. Both worked really well and I was very happy with the result and it still looks good today a few years on but mine is garaged and I rarely drive with the top up...

Edited by entdgc
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I’ve used the blue renovo.Its a fairly dark blue when wet and dry is the same I’ll use up the rest but won’t get any more basically because I prefer how the roof looks without it.fabsil also leaves it a lot darker so have given up on that also.If I had a black roof it might be a different story but the blue looks better without in my view.

Have you tried the sterile tablets?Might help with the marks.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, box100 said:

Thanks for the comments, all helpful, I decided to use it. So far very pleased, virtually looks like new. I note sometimes it is temporary but wonder if the frame tends to show through - which in my case is less of an issue.

I wonder if now applying a product that has a UV blocking ability might reduce the fading. Does Fabsil have UV  resistant properties??? Maybe Renovo does and they are not very good. The roof on my previous 986 was quite tidy and I applied the Autoglym proofer which made the black roof less gray and it stayed looking tidy. I think that may have a UV blocker but you perhaps need to check as I can't be sure. Mine was also a garaged car. Well used but not a daily.

51 minutes ago, Topbox said:

I wonder if now applying a product that has a UV blocking ability might reduce the fading. Does Fabsil have UV  resistant properties??? Maybe Renovo does and they are not very good. The roof on my previous 986 was quite tidy and I applied the Autoglym proofer which made the black roof less gray and it stayed looking tidy. I think that may have a UV blocker but you perhaps need to check as I can't be sure. Mine was also a garaged car. Well used but not a daily.

I’ve used Fabsil Gold and was just about to do now but reading your post made me think as I hadn’t considered UV. I just found this on PH:  

Went to buy some more Fabsil to proof the roof on my 450 and noticed that there is now "Fabsil Gold" that has 5 times the level of silicone in it. However, if you look at the technical sheets, you notice that the Gold doesn't have the UV protection that the Fabsil Standard has.

I enquired with the Manufacturer and their technical guy responded that they had to remove the UV protection element from Fabsil Gold in order to get the extra silicone in. They recommended Fabsil Standard as being better suited to car roofs as the UV protection will prolong the life of the material. They recommended just putting a second coat of Standard on if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, box100 said:

I’ve used Fabsil Gold and was just about to do now but reading your post made me think as I hadn’t considered UV. I just found this on PH:  

Went to buy some more Fabsil to proof the roof on my 450 and noticed that there is now "Fabsil Gold" that has 5 times the level of silicone in it. However, if you look at the technical sheets, you notice that the Gold doesn't have the UV protection that the Fabsil Standard has.

I enquired with the Manufacturer and their technical guy responded that they had to remove the UV protection element from Fabsil Gold in order to get the extra silicone in. They recommended Fabsil Standard as being better suited to car roofs as the UV protection will prolong the life of the material. They recommended just putting a second coat of Standard on if needed.

That is interesting. If you are keeping the car outside and its not used everyday I think some sort of seal like Fabsil is a good idea because without regular use the roofs can stay damp for long periods in the winter months and that is when the mould sets in I suggest. A few of us here that keep the car garage or undercover prefer not to proof the hood. If you are out on a summers day and get caught in a shower, the water beads and you have to clear it off before you can lower the hood again. Likewise if you are away and the car is parked outside the hotel/cottage or whatever and you come out on a fine morning and find the roof wet with beads of dew or overnight rain it delays dropping the hood. The untreated hood dries quickly as the fabric is quite thin and has a waterproof liner.

My car lived outside when I bought it and still does. The roof especially at the back was getting quite green with mould and spots here and there that wouldn't clean off and was still marked even after using mould treatment and several goes with Gtechniq W5 cleaner.

After some research, and not liking the blue roof look anyway, I used two coats of Protex soft top dye to change the colour from blue to black. Four months on it still looks great and any old mould spots are only just visible if you look really closely. I'll be giving it a third coat before winter and then a coat of Protex waterproofer that I didn't use last time to finish the job off. 

I did buy a tin of Fabsil but won't be using it as it has been suggested that it could damage the waterproof membrane inside the roof and dye won't take in future if it has been treated with it.

A black roof on a Midnight Blue car looks soooo much better IMHO. 

Some interesting points on waterproofing and cleansing of roofs. 

Just so happens I was performing the same yesterday.... 

Fabsil time

swept, vacuumed and washed with Autogylm soft top specific shampoo. 

Fabsil time

Fabsil Gold for that return to black as it had started to look a little grey this year (didn't cover the car as much as in previous years) 

May try the standard Fabsil next spring. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, SuperPaulie said:

After my experiences with it in now thinking the Fabsil made the mold worse by trapping moisture under it... The mold always came back, even after scrubbing it with every chemical known to kill the stuff.

I've had good results using Milton to remove and prevent mold.

Milton has worked well for me, I have applied it again after a year and intend to do so once a year going forth. Sadly, it does not help with what the infestation of pigeons around here do to my roof.

14 hours ago, Pinewood said:

3 Milton tablets are said to kill a mould and mildew problem

I wouldn't use Milton tablets yearly, but just the once to get on top of the mildew problem. 

After that regular washing (maybe thrice a year) with a dedicated roof shampoo and a soft brush. 

Then  Fabsil

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, Codfanglers said:

My car lived outside when I bought it and still does. The roof especially at the back was getting quite green with mould and spots here and there that wouldn't clean off and was still marked even after using mould treatment and several goes with Gtechniq W5 cleaner.

After some research, and not liking the blue roof look anyway, I used two coats of Protex soft top dye to change the colour from blue to black. Four months on it still looks great and any old mould spots are only just visible if you look really closely. I'll be giving it a third coat before winter and then a coat of Protex waterproofer that I didn't use last time to finish the job off. 

I did buy a tin of Fabsil but won't be using it as it has been suggested that it could damage the waterproof membrane inside the roof and dye won't take in future if it has been treated with it.

A black roof on a Midnight Blue car looks soooo much better IMHO. 

I'm going to give this a go on your recommendation.  Got the full kit for £40.  Cleaner, restorer, waterproofer and brushes

34 minutes ago, MickH said:

I'm going to give this a go on your recommendation.  Got the full kit for £40.  Cleaner, restorer, waterproofer and brushes

Let us all know how you get on and what you think Mick, please 👍

32 minutes ago, Topbox said:

I will do, my roof is a bit green at the edges and i still have some stubborn polish dust to try and get rid of.  So it will be a good test

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MickH said:

Tooth brush and W5 brought the green off quite easily.

The Protex colour restorer is very runny. I tried covering the bodywork with polythene, but it wasn't really necessary if you're careful. I just used a piece of polythene trapped between the hood and screen for the second coat. I used a 2" brush and small artists brush for the tight areas and wiped the excess off the rear screen surround. Started at the back under the screen and behind the door with the hood a little open, then started that side with the roof close then across the roof in lines so as not to get a dry edge. I used plenty of the colour restorer to wet the material. Obviously don't do it in the sun.

One coat looked ok, two was better but I was changing from faded blue to black. 1/2 a litre is ample for one coat, 1 litre will do three coats.   

A satisfying job.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 12:57 PM, Topbox said:

Thats me done it. My top was really faded and had started to have the green cr*p at the edges I also had polish dust due to machine polishing last year that I just couldn't get off

Ill get pics up later. But super impressed with the Protex. 

Used the cleaner first. Then dried it with the included towel. Was still damp so got the hair dryer on it. 

Then put the first coat of restorer on. 

Youtube link says leave it 3 hours. Was dry to the touch in 90 mins. So went ahead with the second coat. Left for 90 mins again then used the weather proofer. 

Massive difference to the hood. All of the the contamination gone. And the colour is as new. 

Mick

• Like 1