987.1 Wet door carpet and fix

andy987

Car lives outside and after the first bit of hard rain soon after getting the car I noticed the carpet at the bottom of the drivers door was soaking wet. The previous owner probably never noticed as I think he always garaged the car. Anyway a few minutes on youtube and I decided to try and fix it. I bought a pack of long torx drivers as the recesses are quite deep on some of the fastenings. For sizes and disconnecting the electrics then there are some good youtube vids showing this.

The bottom 3rd of the foam seal was completely perished so I removed it and cleaned the area

toBSsMu.jpeg

A new roll off ebay:

9lb8LxL.jpg

XcIFC2L.jpg

Also ordered some new clips/seals which were missing from the door card:

BFvXT7L.jpeg

X13VwaV.jpeg

All back together, pretty easy job really and so far it has stayed dry! All other drain holes have been checked and I'll probably make that a regular job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did this exact fix also - used the butyl from ebay and changed all the door fixings as they provide a seal also - now 100% dry.

I would go as far to say if anyone has had that panel off and broken the seal, it will likley leak imho so well worth doing.

I did notice whilst doing mine the internal door handle microswitch seems to not be working so another strip down required !

• Like 1