BC Coil overs fitted to Boxster 986

andrewwalling

4 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Don’t forget about the other consumables worth swapping at the same time,

• droplinks (may die in the removal process)
  • bump stops (almost certainly knackered)
  • top mounts & bearings

At the same time check all of your bushes, ball joints, toe links, etc. much easier to replace at the same time.

You may end up removing calipers, in which case it’s a good idea to replace the bolts.

eccentric bolts, coffin arms, toe links...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Front drop links and the drop link pinch bolts were sized in, cut the drop link so I could get a socket on then it was a slow plod to get it out still

Top mounts and dome washers were all sized as well

Still in progress looking at the rears this weekend

Shopping list is growing

49 minutes ago, andrewwalling said:

Front drop links and the drop link pinch bolts were sized in, cut the drop link so I could get a socket on then it was a slow plod to get it out still

Top mounts and dome washers were all sized as well

Still in progress looking at the rears this weekend

Shopping list is growing

If you have access to it, heat is a great help on the drop link bolts.  If you want, you are local, I have an induction heater that I used on mine you could borrow.

Look for Sachs top mounts, they are OE, less than £50 for a pair from Autodoc.  I stripped, inspected and regreased my top mount bearings as there was no pitting.

Thanks for the offer

I started stripping the rears on Saturday same problem with the pinch bolts welded in and also having problems with the camber caster bolts as they appear to be stuck in the bushes trying not to damage the coffin arm bushes

Only what to expect on a 17 year old car with the original suspension and nuts and bolts plus steel and aluminium....not a great match

I am off to Dubai with work so once I get back I may get intouch for the loan of the induction heater

Sachs top mounts were order with new sway bar bushes and new drop links..... the list is growing, But it should be good at the end and it will all go back together a lot easier....I hope

1 hour ago, andrewwalling said:

Thanks for the offer

I started stripping the rears on Saturday same problem with the pinch bolts welded in and also having problems with the camber caster bolts as they appear to be stuck in the bushes trying not to damage the coffin arm bushes

Only what to expect on a 17 year old car with the original suspension and nuts and bolts plus steel and aluminium....not a great match

I am off to Dubai with work so once I get back I may get intouch for the loan of the induction heater

Sachs top mounts were order with new sway bar bushes and new drop links..... the list is growing, But it should be good at the end and it will all go back together a lot easier....I hope

Sad to say but if the bolts are not moving in the coffin arms the only way is to cut them out, this will also require a new coffin arm as the alloy bush will be corroded to the bolt. At 17 years old the rubber in the bush will be near end of life. Another order to Spyder Performance I'd suggest.

• Like 1