2001 986 door speakers

Meridianmet

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times, and I've tried searching,  but can find a conclusive answer.  As a new owner of a 2001 986, in the doors are speaker grills but no sound, the dash ones work but are a bit rubbish on their own, my question is the cabling likely to be in the doors ready to take a suitable speaker, or am I going to have to cable them?

Thank,

Graham 

To the best of my knowledge, if you've got the grills in the doors, you've got the speakers. Unless someone took them out... 

But yeah, "speakers" is actually "subwoofers", the door subs only get the lows from the amp so you can't just replace them with a normal speaker, you'd have to either bypass the amp or replace it.

12 hours ago, Meridianmet said:

Thanks for the information, I think more investigation is required.

I think if you have the options list for your car it will tell you the speaker set up for your car. The list is on a sticker under your bonnet or front cover of the service book. Options list  

Pull the door panels off if you wish but don't damage the door membranes or you will get wet carpets which intern damages the control/alarm units under the seats. I don't think any 986's have airbags in the doors??

3 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

I think if you have the options list for your car it will tell you the speaker set up for your car. The list is on a sticker under your bonnet or front cover of the service book. Options list  

Pull the door panels off if you wish but don't damage the door membranes or you will get wet carpets which intern damages the control/alarm units under the seats. I don't think any 986's have airbags in the doors??

There are airbags in the doors :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, just to add a bit of context to my request, the attached pictures show what head unit I have and what is under the front. It looks like there is some cabling on the right hand side, possibly autochanger, not sure if the large box is an amp, or I was told at purchase it was for an original phone kit? 

I will check the Manuel for original options and the under bonnet sticker is a bit faded.

Thanks, Graham. 

20211201_143710.jpg

20211201_143749.jpg

Check for code 490, this is sound package plus and has the door speakers, amp and cd changer I think. The thing in the middle is the amp and the cd changer goes on that bulkhead on the right where the wiring is. Maybe it went faulty at some point and was removed?