LED Frunk Lights?

BrianJ

The standard front and rear luggage compartment lights are rather gloomy. Has anyone here successfuly installed LED ones? There seem to be lots available for 987 but albeit without extensive searching I haven't yet found any for 981. Has anyone done this, and if so, what did you use and did you experience any problems? Thanks.  

I have updated both 'trunks' with LED lights and they are simply one which can be bought from eBay with 18 LEDs, I did have to change the connector to suit however adapter harnesses can also sort that out - I will post a link to them in a bit.

3 hours ago, moospeed said:

I know I'm probably going to regret asking but what does this mean?  Isn't it just as simple as swopping a bulb?

Canbus is a type of modern wiring system that detects fluctuations in voltage, think bulb out information on your dash for example. Some bulbs, mainly front and rear position lamps if not drawing the expected amount of electricity shows as a fault on the dash. The makers of LED style replacements run resistors to fool the system in seeing the correct load. In an effort to reassure you that you won't get errors that is the term used. Not always successful.

The bulbs i've linked to work in my car, i have them in the footwell, trunk, frunk and glovebox. On my PIWIS2 the frunk shows an error (bulb failure), however all work fine with zero errors on the dash.

I'm not an expert but its the way i think of it, hope that helps.

Edited by T24RES
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:00 PM, T24RES said:

Canbus is a type of modern wiring system that detects fluctuations in voltage, think bulb out information on your dash for example. Some bulbs, mainly front and rear position lamps if not drawing the expected amount of electricity shows as a fault on the dash. The makers of LED style replacements run resistors to fool the system in seeing the correct load. In an effort to reassure you that you won't get errors that is the term used. Not always successful.

The bulbs i've linked to work in my car, i have them in the footwell, trunk, frunk and glovebox. On my PIWIS2 the frunk shows an error (bulb failure), however all work fine with zero errors on the dash.

I'm not an expert but its the way i think of it, hope that helps.

Great info thanks, I've learnt something here 😁👍

I didn’t think the frunk lights are monitored by the relevant control units and therefore not reported as bulb failures on the canbus.  

easy test.  Just disconnect whatever is in there now.  If the car doesn’t tell you the bulb has failed then it’s not going to know/care (canbus wise) if you put led bulbs in their place.  

Same with number plate lights.  You don’t get a warning when one blows, but headlights, brake lights, indicators are monitored for current draw by the appropriate control unit, and it’s those control units that communicate over the canbus to report failures back to the instrument cluster to flag the failure.  

that said - interesting that piwis reports the “failure” of a bulb.  So perhaps the control module does notice but doesn’t bother telling the cluster since it’s not a critical / safety bulb.  

• Like 1