Battery tender

BoxstrAl

1 hour ago, BoxstrAl said:

Does anybody use an Optimate 4 as a battery tender?

Don’t want to invest in a Ctek as have a perfectly good Optimate 4 I used for my MX5.  What’s the best way to connect it, cigarette light er socket or straight to the battery?

I don't have the Optimate but I use a CTEK through my 987.2's cigarette lighter without issue, keeps my hands from getting dirty and the cable is thin enough I can shut the door on it.

Edited by iborguk

Hi @rusty nuts I have the MXS 5.0

CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger with Automatic Temperature Compensation https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H124ZJCB80BQ9K59S6RC

Ctek Cigarette Lighter Connector Adaptor 56-263 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0016LA5O8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZEDWCDR7S6C6HZSX6XJ1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

CTEK 56-304 Connect 2.5M Extension: extend the range of your charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ADIHUVG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H7GT0WAMFG9V8QZ9RADM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not used an optimate on a car.  Used them on batteries for race bikes. In that case we wired across the battery and into an in-line socket for ease of connection.  

i guess you could do the same into a ciggy plug or across battery.  Depends on the environment.  In a garage a flying lead up from the battery to the bottom of the windscreen area.  Or if it’s a longer term thing croc clips to the terminals is fine on a 987.2. 

i am Ctek / ciggy user as well but I guess whatever works in your deployment.  

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JTBoxster said:

I have an almost flat battery and am attaching my CTEK - do I use Recod or AGM mode ?

my guess (and it is just that) 

agm only if it is “agm”

recondition mode possibly but I would just connect it and see what the Ctek does with it. If you get any kind of error indication then try recondition.  

Thanks chaps and sorry for the rather brief nature of the question as was in panic mode at the time ! In the end I just plugged it in without either "special" mode and a few hours later the car fired up just fine. The cigarette holder socket method worked a treat too which is good to know. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTBoxster said:

Thanks chaps and sorry for the rather brief nature of the question as was in panic mode at the time ! In the end I just plugged it in without either "special" mode and a few hours later the car fired up just fine. The cigarette holder socket method worked a treat too which is good to know. 

Yes I use the cigarette socket on mine, saves getting your hands dirty.

Glad it's sorted for you.

I use an Optimate Accumate 6V & 12V Trickle Motorcycle/Bike/Car Charger Optimiser on the Boxster without any issue, have attached thru the plug and play leads to the battery. 

Have had the same unit since 2004 and used it on various cars without issue. Great bit of kit. 

Like others I only ever used optimate on my motorbikes. Also, like others I use a ctek mxs 5.0 for the 981.

Unlike others I have it connected to the battery positive terminal and grounding point as per the 981 manual. I then open the frunk to connect it. 

On 12/15/2021 at 9:20 AM, BoxstrAl said:

Does anybody use an Optimate 4 as a battery tender?

Don’t want to invest in a Ctek as have a perfectly good Optimate 4 I used for my MX5.  What’s the best way to connect it, cigarette light er socket or straight to the battery?

Yes, I make extension leads for both Optimates and Accumates using lighting flex and connectors from Ebay, so that I can keep 240v indoors and 12v outside.  I have connectors hard wired directly to car batteries and, in the case of the Boxster, I used to plug in in front of the battery box, run the lead around the edge of the bonnet (so it didn't get trapped in the seal) and let the lead exit from the front of the front boot.

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

Like others I only ever used optimate on my motorbikes. Also, like others I use a ctek mxs 5.0 for the 981.

Unlike others I have it connected to the battery positive terminal and grounding point as per the 981 manual. I then open the frunk to connect it. 

I have seen folks use the same connections on a 981 and then run the cable up the bottom of wipers. 

Do you leave frunk open once connected ? 

7 hours ago, Paul P said:

I have seen folks use the same connections on a 981 and then run the cable up the bottom of wipers. 

Do you leave frunk open once connected ? 

The socket runs up the scuttle tray and pokes out the section you use to open it. Yes, I leave the frunk open once connected. Closing it would potentially damage the rubber seal around the luggage compartment.