987.1 3.2S Decat & MOT

Chris D

Hi all,

Have tried search and if there's anything on here it isn't showing up very easily. Google produces limited responses too. Surely I'm not the first.

I have a 2005 987.1 3.2 S which has the optional PSE fitted. It has stainless headers with no Cats. Each header has two lambda sensors in them.  I've read that there are four Cats on the 987.1 3.2 in standard form. A primary in each of the std headers and a secondary before the mufflers in the backbox.

I'm due an MOT. Assume the car will be warmed / hot prior to dropping off at an MOT station.

Is it likely to pass as is?

Experienced answers appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Edited by Chris D

You’re right about it having four catalysts and their locations, but I think the primary cats do most of the work. I replaced my exhaust and kept the primary cats, but changed everything backwards of them i.e. the new silencers do not have cats in them.  The car passed the MOT emissions test easily.

Sorry that doesn’t directly help you.

2 hours ago, BBB said:

You’re right about it having four catalysts and their locations, but I think the primary cats do most of the work. I replaced my exhaust and kept the primary cats, but changed everything backwards of them i.e. the new silencers do not have cats in them.  The car passed the MOT emissions test easily.

Sorry that doesn’t directly help you.

Same for me, no secondary CATS and passed the MOT easily, very doubtful you would get a legit MOT with the primaries removed - just need to f8nd a friendly MOT station. 

Slightly off topic, but I took Mrs ½cwt's Golf CabrioTDI to its MOT.  The tester didn't do an emissions test because they car won't rev above 2500 (min 4000 rpm required for test) without turning off the TC, which a tester is not allowed to do as it is an adjustment to the vehicle.  Not come acros this before but apparently it is getting more common and VOSA are aware.

• 2 months later...