Brake refresh

BBB

Last year was suspension refresh, 2022 is the year of brakes.

I’m confident on the items for the discs, pads, sensors etc but it’s the following items that I could do with some help on.

Is it worth changing the bleed nipples over to stainless items, if so does anyone have any links please. And do they go in with aluminium anti-seize when swapping?

For the calliper hard pipes (not the ones underneath that link the two sides of the calliper) is it best to go OEM or do people make their own up? Mine are very rusty.

I’m planning to fit braided flexi hoses, does it matter who makes them - Goodrich etc? Good source for these?

I already have a GT3 master cylinder which arrived from Germany yesterday so that will go in the mix. Are there any modifications to the hard lines to the BMC required? The inlets seem to be M12 x 1.0 thread, is that the same as the original version so it’s an easy swap?

I’m accumulating all the parts first, and then plan to fit all the items above in one go so I only have to bleed the system once.

Any guidance appreciated. 

Main thing with the bleep nipples is to use a flare spanner or 6 points deep socket to crack them off, avoids burring and decreases shearing risk too.  Stainless as such won't gain you much here but avoid assembly compounds as it can contaminate the brake fluid, just some brake fluid on the threads does help though.

Depending you your mileage and how far you want to go check for seized or sticky pistons in the calipers.  For Brembo or after market spare parts for all of these, look up Bigg Red (among others), or go for full caliper refurbs with painting, seals, nipples etc. with the likes of BCS.

For hard lines I'm planning DIY on my 986, I got the kit including tube cutter, flaring tool and fittings for about £80, but haven't been brave enough to tackle it yet, mainly due to when I started last time I found a  broken front spring so all the suspension got done instead...

• Like 1

@JonSta no big deal, just need time and fine Spring weather to get on with it later this year... 🤞

Besides the suspension refresh has transformed the car, so a good thing, just a bit costly at £1300 ish in parts alone when all I wanted was shiny brake lines and fresh painted calipers that I'd bought the bits for already.

Edited by ½cwt

5 hours ago, entdgc said:

Might be worth taking a look at the hard lines under the car as I have heard they can get quite corroded and are under covers so don't get spotted even at an MOT.

Very true, I am doing my brake lines at the moment and found that the brake lines under the car, which are covered by plastic under tray and toward the back of the car (passenger side-UK), were completely rotten. I was shocked how bad they were and they would never be picked up on MOT!

As for the calliper cross pipes I just bought OEM because I struggled to get the correct radius on the bends - they are quite tight bends, but then that maybe due to my old equipment. Although they are expensive for what they are!

I used a deep socket to get the old bleed nipples off making sure to apply even gentle pressure so as not to snap them. Replaced with stainless ones found on ebay.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JonSta said:

The crinkly face reaction earlier wasn't me. My dog added it while I was eating my dinner. I didn't know he could do that.

Yadah, yadah, yadah...

2 hours ago, andy987 said:

Think steel is a US market reg thing?

Correct, and easier for production as less easy to accidentally knock out of shape once formed during assembly.

11 hours ago, BBB said:

Last year was suspension refresh, 2022 is the year of brakes.

I’m confident on the items for the discs, pads, sensors etc but it’s the following items that I could do with some help on.

Is it worth changing the bleed nipples over to stainless items, if so does anyone have any links please. And do they go in with aluminium anti-seize when swapping?

For the calliper hard pipes (not the ones underneath that link the two sides of the calliper) is it best to go OEM or do people make their own up? Mine are very rusty.

I’m planning to fit braided flexi hoses, does it matter who makes them - Goodrich etc? Good source for these?

I already have a GT3 master cylinder which arrived from Germany yesterday so that will go in the mix. Are there any modifications to the hard lines to the BMC required? The inlets seem to be M12 x 1.0 thread, is that the same as the original version so it’s an easy swap?

I’m accumulating all the parts first, and then plan to fit all the items above in one go so I only have to bleed the system once.

Any guidance appreciated. 

Where did you aquire the GT3 master cylinder from? It's a mod I've been looking into.

Cheers!