Help! Damaged battery terminal bolt?

Camels

Hi all - I have been meaning for quite a while to attach the CTEK eyelet lead to the battery terminals rather than use the cig lighter which would require a door or window left open when charging, and during my last service I was told this would be better connection anyway. 

Rather foolishly however I did not do sufficient research on this  and assumed that the battery terminal clamps would be just like every other car I have previously owned and not be single use, so while the negative nut came off and went back on ok (just slightly stiff I thought at the time), the positive one was much harder to do and I presume I have damaged it.  Reading up on this (after the event sadly) I now realise that these bolts are not apparently actually not meant to come off completely, and to connect the eyelets the only thing to do is chop out a bit to make them into a C-connector to slide on rather than a full ring - grr!!

Trying to get the thing back off is now not working either as the square bolt head just spins when I try to undo the nut so I cannot sort it out properly, as there is no space to use a spanner/socket to hold it.  It's just about tight enough to stay on the terminal but I am not 100% comfortable feeling that the clamp is a bit loose and might come off while driving or cause electrical damage.

Any advice other than just try to get to a garage?  Is it possible to get replacement bolts (assuming the current one can be cut through to be removed), or am I looking a replacement terminal cable and a big bill? 

16 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Hi , sorry to hear re your grief. Appreciate you may not want to hear this right now ,I and others use the Ctek via the ciggy lighter with the door shut with no ill effects to the Ctek cable.

Thanks for the thought - when I last tried that I couldn't find a way of doing it which didn't leave a mark in the cable at least so was trying to find a better alternative, so as & when I get this sorted will try again eventually if you say there is a way of doing it.

In the meantime I just need to remedy the problem I've caused, just one of those things to chalk up to experience I suppose! 

3 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Doesn't look like you can get a cheap replacement bolt option from Porsche.

Would have thought with the right tools it should be possible to get purchase on the bolts to tighten them up.

Yeah I was resigning myself to possibly having to get a whole replacement cable/clamp combo but no idea what that would cost, will have to check with my indy on Monday for a start.

I have tried with a  variety of tools but no joy so far, I think one issue is that the bolt end is slightly flared to stop it from coming off so that end might now be cross-threaded, and I haven't been able to find a way of getting sufficient purchase on the head which is also now slightly rounded to hold it in place so it turns with the rest of the bolt when I try to unscrew the nut.

Suppose if someone could transplant the bolt/nut off it you could buy a Negative battery cable 997 611 091 00 , which is about £19 from an OPC, before any discount.

The positive cable is sold as part of a power distribution repair kit for £253 (!), part 997 612 909 01  

Edited by iborguk

6 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Suppose if someone could transplant the bolt/bolts off it you could buy a Negative battery cable 997 611 090 00 , which is about £19 from an OPC.

Any idea how much a positive battery cable would be if I had to replace the whole thing, or where I could look for the price?  The point is that I think if you take the nut off the bolt you damage them both which is what I've already done on the existing one...

Edited by Camels
typo

2 minutes ago, Camels said:

Any idea how much a positive battery cable would be if I had to replace the whole thing, or here I could look for the price?  The point is that I think if you take the nut off the bolt you damage them both which is what I've already done on the existing one...

Cross post - see above, not available as a separate cable but part of the power distribution repair kit and yes the trick here would be to remove and replace the bolt/nut without damage if transplanting from a negative cable (actually part 997 611 091 00 for RHD)...

Edited by iborguk

22 minutes ago, Camels said:

Yikes!

By all means check with an OPC parts dept as I'd like to be wrong for you on this one !

Call some auto electricians for some repair quotes - got to be cheaper if an option.

Edited by iborguk

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

Dug deeper, it actually looks like the nut is available as 900 377 010 01 for less than £1

That's potentially reassuring - is that from OPC? And there a matching bolt to go with?

OK thanks @iborgukand @BBBfor the advice, at least now I have a couple of options to pursue; getting a suitable auto-electrician/tech to transplant the clamp might well be the answer if I cannot source a suitable nut & bolt combo - fingers crossed!

8 hours ago, iborguk said:

I run mine to the bottom of the door and I've not seen any damage to the cable.

Same.  It's worked for me over a number of years and not a mark on the cable...

Edited by rowbos

7 hours ago, Camels said:

OK thanks @iborgukand @BBBfor the advice, at least now I have a couple of options to pursue; getting a suitable auto-electrician/tech to transplant the clamp might well be the answer if I cannot source a suitable nut & bolt combo - fingers crossed!

Good luck, it sounds like you have some options that are not too painful...

So... quick update after some more effort this afternoon, mostly positive news thankfully.

1. After much effort with spanner and socket lever the bolt on the positive clamp sheared in the middle allowing me to remove it (and the CTEK eyelet connector)
2. Removed the bolt and nut from the negative clamp and moved it over to the positive clamp which is now nice & snug on the battery terminal
3. Repositioned the negative clamp on its terminal (without a bolt which should not be a problem while the car is just parked)

Some more research in the meantime has thrown up that other people have had the same experience of negative bolt/nut being much more removable than the positive one, so I'm thinking that worst I should just be able to get one off a new negative cable, if I can't get a bolt on its own, rather than the full power distribution repair kit.

Oh and the CTEK is now connected inside with cable through the door as per your helpful recommendations - thanks for all the advice everyone!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Camels said:

So... quick update after some more effort this afternoon, mostly positive news thankfully.

1. After much effort with spanner and socket lever the bolt on the positive clamp sheared in the middle allowing me to remove it (and the CTEK eyelet connector)
2. Removed the bolt and nut from the negative clamp and moved it over to the positive clamp which is now nice & snug on the battery terminal
3. Repositioned the negative clamp on its terminal (without a bolt which should not be a problem while the car is just parked)

Some more research in the meantime has thrown up that other people have had the same experience of negative bolt/nut being much more removable than the positive one, so I'm thinking that worst I should just be able to get one off a new negative cable, if I can't get a bolt on its own, rather than the full power distribution repair kit.

Oh and the CTEK is now connected inside with cable through the door as per your helpful recommendations - thanks for all the advice everyone!

Good outcome and yep a negative cable if that’s worse case is a much cheaper fix. 👍

• Thanks 1