Possible RMS or IMS seal weep

Sanky

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

RMS should not leak again if it’s been fitted correctly as I think they upgraded the part. No idea on the IMS, must depend on what replaced the original one.

Plus how would you know, leak comes from the same spot, a light misting of oil, I would go with the Rms a consistent running of oil, I would be feeling the worse.

I had my IMS upgraded and a new RMS fitted by one of the forum favourite Indies shortly after I got my car 6 years ago. Within a year there was evidence of the RMS seeping again but it didn't become a problem until last year when the IMS seal went and a lot more oil started coming out. It's lovely and dry now after having both replaced in Newcastle.

16 minutes ago, AMacdonald said:

I had my IMS upgraded and a new RMS fitted by one of the forum favourite Indies shortly after I got my car 6 years ago. Within a year there was evidence of the RMS seeping again but it didn't become a problem until last year when the IMS seal went and a lot more oil started coming out. It's lovely and dry now after having both replaced in Newcastle.

Nightmare. So many get away with never having to replace the IMS. You've had to do it twice at 5 yr intervals.🙁

It was mentioned in my last years service that there was a misting around the rear of the engine, possibly caused by previous RMS seal failure.  Was advised to clean and monitor.

Which made me think about the question, 'how long should a replaced RMS / IMS flange seal last'.

I'll be doing this years service myself, so will have to see how its looking.

Makes me smile when I read about “misting” at the rear of the engine. I have an old Land Cruiser and sometimes visit an Australian YouTube garage where typically they have a beat up old LC in for work and the comments go something like this (in an Australian voice). “Yeah she’s in for a bit of work, there’s a bit of oil misting between the engine and gearbox but she’s done around 600,000 kilometres so not too bad, not worth worrying about, she’ll be right mate”.

• Haha 1