The 1.1 fiesta automatic is gone

Ninesomething

Back to Eporsch. Style, performance, presence - it had none of those. But I've got the boxster back. They replaced the rear top mounts, realigned and tightened up the exhaust because it was touching the chassis somewhere and fitted a new brakelight switch. Car is now quieter - I know because I can hear some wind noise at the rear of the driver's window that I hadn't noticed before - and most importantly there are no nasty noises from the rear suspension. 

On the downside it's filthy. But I can fix that.

• Like 1

Spoke too soon. Drove it this morning on the usual bit of rough road near my house and the noise is exactly the same. On the positive side drove it on a rough bit of twisty road at 60 ish and it definitely tracks over the bumps better and feels more attached to the road. As the tuning forks, drop links, ARB bushes and top mounts have now been changed I'm starting to think it's not suspension related at all. Strange that it gets less as the car warms up.

I've checked. AFAIK the 987 doesn't have separate heat shields for each cat like a 986 there's a plate that covers the whole underside of the car above the exhaust. I've tightened that up and prodding it doesn't make it rattle.  I wasn't surprised when Eporsche diagnosed top mounts because the noise seems to come from higher up at the rear rather than lower down like a tuning fork.

I've poked around the hood mechanism thinking it might be that but everything seems tight. I can make a similar sounding clunk by pulling the spoiler back and forth but I pulled the trim back and the bolts that hold the spoiler tubes in place are tight.

Guess I'll have another look around and make sure there's nothing loose. I'll record a video see if anyone has ideas.

The top mounts are at about shoulder level when you are sitting in the car.  Then again I was convinced my top mounts needed doing as teh sound seemed to be high up when it was actually most likely the tuning fork which is mounted almost under your backside.  Turned out the final knocks didn't go until the tuning forks were done, but then you've done all that.

As previous offer I can be another set of ears in the week if you wish.

On 3/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, JonSta said:

Strange that it gets less as the car warms up.

Gotta be a part that expands with heat. If you can annoy your neighbours by revving it on the drive for 15 mins, you could distinguish if it goes away with exhaust heat or needs a 15 min suspension work out.

Fair point. If I drive it then park it then drive it an hour or two later it doesn't do it. Also it takes longer to quieten if the morning is v cold. If I drive it slowly on smooth roads it stays noisy longer which by your logic says it's suspension.

I sort of don't care unless it's a shock because PASM shocks are pricey and it's still under warranty so I don't want a shock to expire the day after the warranty runs out. There's no external leakage. On the shock.

What I haven't done is drive it cold with PASM in sport. Might do that tomorrow.