Novices Track Day at Donington

Gramps

Good day yesterday. Met up with @Philc and his brother Andy, hope you both had a safe trip home. All escaped unscathed, other than the damage to our wallets.

Always nice to leave the track with the car looking the same as it arrived 🙂

51954617985_5e83bfc052_z.jpg

51954326989_a2f2e2e40c_z.jpg

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Black bit is yours, green and gravelly bits are theirs.  Don't trespass!

Only seemed to be those pesky Caterhams that had trouble distinguishing between track and non-track 😂

I was on my ZX6R following some bloke on a ratty CBR. He dived into Redgate at a pretty smart pace so I figured if he could do that so could I. Wrong. I realised I'd seriously overestimated my ability and halfway round I straightened up and headed for the kerb. The bike took off and when it landed it buried the front wheel up to the axle and stopped like it had hit a wall. Fortunately I was wearing personal protection equipment. For my equipment.

Turned out that the guy onthe ratty CBR was some kind of club racing hotshot. I stopped doing bike trackdays when it became apparent at another circuit that I had a gift for choosing the wrong person to race with.

5 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I was on my ZX6R following some bloke on a ratty CBR. He dived into Redgate at a pretty smart pace so I figured if he could do that so could I. Wrong. I realised I'd seriously overestimated my ability and halfway round I straightened up and headed for the kerb. The bike took off and when it landed it buried the front wheel up to the axle and stopped like it had hit a wall. Fortunately I was wearing personal protection equipment. For my equipment.

Turned out that the guy onthe ratty CBR was some kind of club racing hotshot. I stopped doing bike trackdays when it became apparent at another circuit that I had a gift for choosing the wrong person to race with.

Running out of talent at the wrong time never ends well 🤣. I do find on the bike that you get sucked in a tad by other (more skillful) riders 😂. I was at Donington a few years ago on my bike talking to a young lad doing a track day, he said he'd come off 6 times at Donington. Sure enough, low and behold  he didn't return from our session and sure enough he was in the kitty litter at Redgate 🙄. Another time there I saw a bike tumble-turning over the grass alongside the Craner curves. On getting the bike back to the pits I remember seeing his exhaust pipe exit just jammed full of earth and thinking he could just use that bit as a flower pot, rest of the bike (other than the battery) was wrecked 😌. Talking of which the Craner curves are still most enjoyable in a car as well 🙂 

I stopped doing track days years ago now.  Too many close calls with lack of talent, Woodcote (the Goodwood one), back straight (well the kink in it in the wet) at the Nürburgring GP circuit and Cascades at Oulton.  I knew I was running my luck.

lack of talent is the fun bit! i've crashed at Rockingham, countless spins at bedford (luckily never hit anything), had some decent spins at oulton... its all fun and games! 🤣

plus i think i'd much rather have an accident at a racetrack than on the public road - very little run off on public roads... lots of walls and trees usually. 

48 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I've never done Rockingham which is odd because it's only 5 miles up the road. Wouldn't mind having a go round there.

You won't get the chance now... Closed.

1 hour ago, brillomaster said:

lack of talent is the fun bit! i've crashed at Rockingham, countless spins at bedford (luckily never hit anything), had some decent spins at oulton... its all fun and games! 🤣

plus i think i'd much rather have an accident at a racetrack than on the public road - very little run off on public roads... lots of walls and trees usually. 

I've had one serious crash on the road, head on with a truck combined speed about 45mph Ooooouch. Took them 30 minutes to cut me out.  Kept other shunts to when I was a rally codriver, into trees, ditches telegraph poles and onto rocks, but my drivers never put me upside down!

Edited by ½cwt

8 hours ago, brillomaster said:

Donington is my favourite track, my 986 went great round there a few months ago. gets a bit pricey in the summer, but most tracks do these days. 

off to Anglesey this year for the first time, so will see how that goes! 

I think Cadwell would be my fave. Reminds me of going out for a ride down country lanes. Not sure I'd like to do it in a car, unless it was just me and no-one else on the track, very narrow for cars, great for bikes

Cadwell is a brilliant track, one of my favourites.

Width isn’t too bad, I find it fine for a track day. Here’s a clip from last year’s TVR Car Club track day. I know, I was in my S. I pass the camera car at about 4.50 being followed closely by my friend in his Chimaera. You get a good idea of the track.

13 hours ago, phazed said:

Cadwell is a brilliant track, one of my favourites.

Width isn’t too bad, I find it fine for a track day. Here’s a clip from last year’s TVR Car Club track day. I know, I was in my S. I pass the camera car at about 4.50 being followed closely by my friend in his Chimaera. You get a good idea of the track.

Haven't done Cadwell for a few years, could picture myself back on my bike going round there. Especially remember the squeaky bum times going over The Mountain, used to bury myself on my tank and hope for the best 🙂

23 minutes ago, Philc said:

A good day out as gramps has already said. (I got to hear your exhaust as i followed you out on the last session, sounds nice👍)

Thanks again to Matthew for the photos

👍 I do love my exhaust set-up would recommend it to anyone who wants to get that extra  sound track....Gramps (AKA Rob)

6 hours ago, Gramps said:

Haven't done Cadwell for a few years, could picture myself back on my bike going round there. Especially remember the squeaky bum times going over The Mountain, used to bury myself on my tank and hope for the best 🙂

Managed to go straight on at the gooseneck..... Can you see a pattern emerging here? Actually I'd like to do Cadwell in the boxster. Hopefully that isn't closed too....

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

Didn't know that. And I drove past the other day. Wonder if I could sneak in and have it all to myself?

It's being used for vehicle storage and logistics.  Last races and track days were in 2018. Sad end. 

I remember going to IndyCar qualifying back in 2000 and 2001, awesome.  Also did two rallies there which were great fun combining mileage from oval, infield course and service roads.