Ignition barrel is starting to go...

RedBarediver

I changed the ignition switch earlier in my ownership and that was fairly straightforward even if it was a little difficult to contort my podgy frame under the dash. Now however the key barrel is starting to act up. Noticed it a few weeks ago when it was difficult to get the key into the ignition, Ignition has always been slightly stiff to turn but never an issue with getting the key in or out. Now I can get it in and out easily enough but when I remove the key the radio etc stays on. It eventually goes off if I just leave it but it's clear to me that I am going to need to get in there and do some repairs. I have read the ignition replacement sticky topic and I am REALLY hoping I don't have to go through all that. For one, I don't have the tools to take off the steering wheel etc.

I also don't particularly want to fanny around with the immobiliser etc. Mechanically I am okay and can find my way around most things, but car electrics is a bit of a mystery to me. A few questions to those of you that have done it:

- how easy is it to take out the barrel (the bit where the key goes in) and clean it?
- is it worth trying to clean it or am I just going to completely c*ck it up?

I don't mind buying a new part and fitting it myself as long as I can still use the same key. And as luck would have it Mid Sussex Porsche is not too far from me so I should be able to get hold of the bits I need fairly easily.

Any advice will be gratefully received

Decided I'll just change the whole ignition steering lock to prevent this happening again. With this in mind I checked Design 911 (£215.13 with free delivery). Local Porsche dealer £177 probably excl VAT (I forgot to ask). If VAT is added then you're looking at about £212 so much of a muchness really.

Looking forward to spending Friday taking it all apart. Let's hope I can get it back together in one piece again...

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Decided I'll just change the whole ignition steering lock to prevent this happening again. With this in mind I checked Design 911 (£215.13 with free delivery). Local Porsche dealer £177 probably excl VAT (I forgot to ask). If VAT is added then you're looking at about £212 so much of a muchness really.

Looking forward to spending Friday taking it all apart. Let's hope I can get it back together in one piece again...

Porsche are retailers and will include VAT.  D911 however quote ex-VAT on their web pages.  Be sure of the total cost to pay before ordering.

I was thinking if I should replace the steering lock or not as the symptoms I am experiencing doesn't really seem to be steering lock related. Everything points to the electrical switch in the rear of the unit having failed again. The key is not getting stuck in the ignition and it isn't hard to get out. It is sometimes hard to get into the ignition but is easy to take out. The barrel doesn't close (for want of a better expression) when the key is removed so the radio remains on. I jiggle the key in the top part of the ignition and then it seems to close and shut down everything. The other symptom is that the key is hard to turn - this is the main reason I am changing the whole ignition steering lock. I am not sure if there is anything actually wrong with mine but I changed the switch some time ago and I honestly can't remember if the ignition was then easier to turn or not. 

I figured I would rather just go in there once and do the whole thing rather than having to go in again. The barrel is definitely being changed over - the Porsche dealer wants over £300 for a new barrel....

Edited by RedBarediver

Change the ignition switch over once more but ensure you use a quality replacement.

The cheap ones only last a few months.

Go in by the air vent and it’s easy.

I probably change one week and it a 15 min job from start to finish 👍🏻

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

It looks to me like the £215 is VAT inclusive. with D911. Pretty sure I will be charged £177 excl VAT at the local Porsche dealer. If the £177 is VAT included then I'll have to celebrate by getting a few beers in after the work is done :)

image.png.3eb10548c1f1630f197826be331f58c7.png

Go to checkout, part price then with delivery (free in this case) and VAT, see below.  A good rule of thumb is that the screen price against the item on D911 is about the total price you can get it directly from Porsche.  For non Porsche items they are more competitive but always shop around.

DOElKcZ.jpg 

5 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Go to checkout, part price then with delivery (free in this case) and VAT, see below.  A good rule of thumb is that the screen price against the item on D911 is about the total price you can get it directly from Porsche.  For non Porsche items they are more competitive but always shop around.

DOElKcZ.jpg 

Oh wow. I guess the best would be to go to the Porsche dealer.

Just now, RedBarediver said:

Oh wow. I guess the best would be to go to the Porsche dealer.

or second hand as Paul @TROOPER88 suggests.  He has worked on hundreds of 986s as he repairs, services and fixes them for resale.  Most of these wear or life limited parts he has done many times.

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

or second hand as Paul @TROOPER88 suggests.  He has worked on hundreds of 986s as he repairs, services and fixes them for resale.  Most of these wear or life limited parts he has done many times.

Thanks. Luckily this is not my only car so I can take it out and have a good look at it and take an informed decision on new/ used/ just the switch before replacing . In fact, I may do that.

8 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Thanks. Luckily this is not my only car so I can take it out and have a good look at it and take an informed decision on new/ used/ just the switch before replacing . In fact, I may do that.

I’ll have a sportsman’s bet with you that your issue is the switch.

Have you got a spare to try?

If not, I can send you one 

Just now, TROOPER88 said:

I’ll have a sportsman’s bet with you that your issue is the switch.

Have you got a spare to try?

If not, I can send you one 

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the offer. I do think you're right. Everything I have read online states that when the steering lock starts to go the key is stuck and doesn't want to come out. No one anywhere says that the key coming out easily and the electrics not turning off is a steering lock issue. I paid less than £20 for the switch last time so I am pretty sure it's the switch (probably a crappy part). I'll see if my local Porsche dealer has one and get it from them - unless you know which one of the ones that Design911 sell is actually decent quality?

5 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the offer. I do think you're right. Everything I have read online states that when the steering lock starts to go the key is stuck and doesn't want to come out. No one anywhere says that the key coming out easily and the electrics not turning off is a steering lock issue. I paid less than £20 for the switch last time so I am pretty sure it's the switch (probably a crappy part). I'll see if my local Porsche dealer has one and get it from them - unless you know which one of the ones that Design911 sell is actually decent quality?

PM me your address and go from there.

If it works, you owe me a 🍺 

This is the second most expensive on Design911 which hopefully means it's good quality.... The guy at the Porsche dealer just now tried telling me that you can't buy the switch separately and you can't change the switch because it's moulded in place.

Hogwash. That may be true for the later models but definitely not for the first generation Boxster. I reckon I'll get this one and give it another go.

image.thumb.png.4154589fe652f04b070493eae72d688d.png

54 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

This is the second most expensive on Design911 which hopefully means it's good quality.... The guy at the Porsche dealer just now tried telling me that you can't buy the switch separately and you can't change the switch because it's moulded in place.

Hogwash. That may be true for the later models but definitely not for the first generation Boxster. I reckon I'll get this one and give it another go.

image.thumb.png.4154589fe652f04b070493eae72d688d.png

I have replied to your PM,

The above is actually a very early switch as it happens. Could be a discrepancy on the D911 site.

The very early one's are white and a different fitting to the later cars AFAIK. 

What year is your car?

Parts cat has this part number 4B0905849 as 04 onwards.  Earlier cars are listed as 4A0905849 or 4A0905849 B  with a note saying 'See technical information  Group 2 NR.1/03'.  Either way looks spookily like a VAG part number...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

I have replied to your PM,

The above is actually a very early switch as it happens. Could be a discrepancy on the D911 site.

The very early one's are white and a different fitting to the later cars AFAIK. 

What year is your car?

Mine is a 1998. One of the first ones. No idea what the original reg was as mine came with a personalised plate.

37 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Parts cat has this part number 4B0905849 as 04 onwards.  Earlier cars are listed as 4A0905849 or 4A0905849 B  with a note saying 'See technical information  Group 2 NR.1/03'.  Either way looks spookily like a VAG part number...

They are indeed; Audi parts