Spring compressors

Jcn27

Hi all, just been in the garage attempting to put the strut back together but my spring compressors won't compressor the spring enough. Those that have done this kind of job before what type of Compressor do you use?

Just wondering if its worth forking out for a hydraulic one.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Jcn27 said:

Hi all, just been in the garage attempting to put the strut back together but my spring compressors won't compressor the spring enough. Those that have done this kind of job before what type of Compressor do you use?

Just wondering if its worth forking out for a hydraulic one.

Thanks

I had this issue on a set of new B4s with new oem springs. Had to take them to my local indie who likewise had a nightmare - took 2 guys over an hour using brute force, standard compressors and a set of borrowed heavy duty ones for them to sort it out.  There's a thread with details - I recall somebody else had to make up a special tool with long levers to get his done. 

Edit: here's the thread

Edited by red rocket

Given the  potential time I could put into trying to sort that out I'll just strip the other side and take them to the local indi. It's probably a better use of time and money anyway.

Feel like I could be fitting a battle I may not win.

I but the lower hook on mine over the spring platform on the strut so compressing the spring on to the platform.  Gives you and extra coil of spring to compress in effect. It can chip the paint on the nice new strut though.