718 Boxster S vs 911 (992) Carerra S

Stark9

As some of you may know my Mrs got a 992 last month and yes it’s an amazing car.

However one thing I noticed and I never though this would be the case, I feel the Boxster is a better handling car than hers.

Yes mid engine does so much for the balance of the car vs the engine on the 992 (450bhp) mounted at the back. Just the rear kicks out a bit when driving it hard round corners etc unlike my Boxster

• 1 month later...

When I did the Porsche Experience Day at Silverstone, I asked Merv the most senior instructor, who took me round, this question. He has driven all models at serious speeds. His answer “ Boxster “ with the Active suspension package. The mid engine is the jewel in the crown .

• 3 weeks later...

When the 992 was fresh local OPC offered a “drive experience day”.  Porsche experience centre driver in your choice of the current models. I chose a 992 cabriolet - just because I had driven a 718 and a 718s boxster and the 992 was new 

during the drive (which was good fun - he taught me various ways of “communicating” with the pdk box ) - i asked him what did he drive. 

he said he was freelance.  Did the same job for Merc as he did for Porsche and therefore had access to pretty much all their ranges.  

his daily driver that he did 25k miles a year in VW Passat diesel. 

his toy on order - 718 Cayman S with PASM. 

i said “close… but too much roof” :) 

but if I won a 992 I wouldn’t be tempted to sell it or give it back. 

i always think that box/cayman and 911 are the right answers to two different questions. 

Don’t get me wrong, the 992 looks and feels amazing. Sounds amazing and the 450bhp makes it effortless. But I hold off taking corners too hard with my foot on the accelerator. 

I convinced myself and others told me the C2S was a better car than the C4S but I am now not sure I made the right choice….