Braided Hoses - Yes or No

999 WRC

Hi All

Just finished ‘refreshing’ the brakes on my 986 3.2S (2003) and have gone for genuine Brembo discs and pads all round, new shims, pins etc,  caliper refresh by Bigred (new seals and bleed nipples all round).  However where I have had brake line clamps on it when the calipers were sent away I have noticed the rubbers are hard and I now have a little ‘dent’ on each pipe. I showed them to my local MOT station and they  will almost certainly fail the MOT. 😕

So I can buy 4 new rubber hoses (non genuine but branded - such as Borg and Beck etc) or I can stump up a bit more and go for braided lines. 

The question is will I notice any difference whatsoever? My missus will drive the car most of the time so it won’t be driven hard (allegedly!)

My head says keep it standard but obviously if I am going to change/upgrade now is the time!

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards

Nick

Braided cost about the same as OE, aftermarket standard hoses are around 60% of the cost. If you brake hard and lots you will notice.

I have just bought a set of Goodridge hoses for mine.

Edited by ½cwt

I would say the pedal definitely felt firmer after fitting the braided lines.  They were also a lot cheaper then the OE style ones for a set.

These are the ones that I fitted 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122635254225?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=63akh65fR-a&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=GQRbRO2MRhW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Sanky

When you change to braided hoses a chunk of the change you feel is likely from fresh fluid and a fresh bleed. 

• Like 2

I think my braided hoses were 50-60 quid, can't remember.

As they had fully refurbed calipers, GT3 master cylinder, and RBF(?)600 fluid, I have no idea what made any difference. But there is absolutely a difference.

My opinion is, on a Porsche, where it will cost you an extra 50 quid or so, why the hell not :) 

On my mum's Kangoo my answer would be different :D