Bonnet gas struts/pressure springs

penrhos

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

Thanks BBB, I've just ordered these. The bonnet has dropped on my head twice recently.

I think you got away lightly @McDonald I was topping up the battery and the bonnet dropped onto the battery charging clamps and put a dent in, from the underside. I’d only had the car for about a month and ended up getting the whole bonnet resprayed as it really bugged me. A very expensive mistake.

Edited by BBB

1 hour ago, BBB said:

I think you got away lightly @McDonald I was topping up the battery and the bonnet dropped onto the battery charging clamps and put a dent in, from the underside. I’d only had the car for about a month and ended up getting the whole bonnet resprayed as it really bugged me. A very expensive mistake.

Sorry to hear that but your research has helped me & Penrhos. Thanks again.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:28 PM, BBB said:

The struts were delivered today. I watched a 'How-to' Youtube vid, then installed them. 10 minutes tops. 

I've spent a lifetime behaving as though cars were 'sealed for life' units. It's so rewarding to discover the many small jobs that even I can do. Simple & cheap.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Caped Crusader said:

Do the replacement struts cause the bonnet to bounce a bit when the bonnet gets to its fully open position or does it get near the top and then slow down for the last few inches? 

Your question made me go out to the car & check. I was happy enough that the bonnet stayed open securely.

The rise damps near the top - a perfect action. @BBB's link sent me to perfect kit. I'm very happy.

51 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Your question made me go out to the car & check. I was happy enough that the bonnet stayed open securely.

The rise damps near the top - a perfect action. @BBB's link sent me to perfect kit. I'm very happy.

I'm glad it does damp when it gets to the top. I bought some of fleabay and they don't. I just assumed that it was only the genuine Porsche ones that damped near the top. It's good to know that the ones Frazerpart sell are the correct spec. Saves me having to buy genuine ones. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Caped Crusader said:

I'm glad it does damp when it gets to the top. I bought some of fleabay and they don't. I just assumed that it was only the genuine Porsche ones that damped near the top. It's good to know that the ones Frazerpart sell are the correct spec. Saves me having to buy genuine ones. 

The Frazerpart ones I believe are Stabilus (?) who make the OE ones for Porsche so are highly likely the exact.same.spec except for a Porsche design mark and part number printed on them.

1 hour ago, The Caped Crusader said:

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

The Frazerpart ones I believe are Stabilus (?) who make the OE ones for Porsche so are highly likely the exact.same.spec except for a Porsche design mark and part number printed on them.

Once again 1/2 CWT is spot on, they're Stabilus.

I did my rear with the part from Frazerparts but as noted when you add VAT and shipping they jump up in price.

I managed to get 2x front genuine stabilus by searching part number 8541 UI and Amazon came up for a pair of them at £28 incl postage so pays to shop around - hope it helps someone

Edited by NICTRY