Replacement Exhaust Muffler query

Holdie

Hi.

Can anyone tell me if this item - 00-02 Porsche Boxster 986 2.7 Rear Exhaust System Muffler Tail Tip Complete OEM - will fit a 2003 facelift 2.7L model?

Looks exactly the same spec & size to me. Possibly has a different part number, but more concerned it will fit before committing to buy.

Context - recently scrapped the original (Big mistake in retrospect - should have kept it and had the seams re-welded) and had a Top Gear Cat Back exhaust fitted which I can't live with - drone induced headaches and sounds like a boy racer crapmobile... 

Want to go back to OEM spec, the quietness of which I always liked. The TG is a solid, well made piece of kit, but not for me, so as soon as I can source a decent replacement I'll be selling it. It only has about 100miles use.

Cheers

H

Welcome.

This help? - shows variations in the muffler part number 00->02 and 03->

https://www.design911.co.uk/pages/diagramsBrowser.aspx?categoryID=2&diagramID=3203

Check with an OPC parts dept if you want complete certainty. Porsche do publish online part catalogs but they tend to lag behind the real time systems the dealers have re superseded part numbers,  https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/en/E_986_KATALOG.pdf

Breakers such as Steve Strange , Douglas Valley, 9-Apart may also be able to help you source what you want.

If you find one and want it to modified/swapped to sound gruntier then this is a popular option without drone http://www.carnewal.com/products/986/p86037/986-Carnewal-GT-Exhaust and here's another https://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/upgrades/revolution-porsche-exhaust-silencer-bypass

Good luck getting back to a setup that works for you.

Edited by iborguk

Thanks for getting back to me with this info. The design 911 parts link is really useful. Having had a look at the 2002 spec exhaust muffler diagram, and the 2003-04, I think the mountings differ. This can no doubt be got around, but the best pre-owned example I've seen to date is in California USA, and even with carriage & import duty works out only at approx £350. It looks in amazing condition cf.UK breakers examples which are all rusting at the seams, and not cheap either.

I'll see if I can get an answer out of Autowerke, Norwich tomorrow and decide from there.

Thanks also for your 'gruntier' suggestions, but I definitely don't want that - just quiet and sedate motoring for me!!

16 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Whats the question, will a 2002 2.7 muffler fit a 2003 car?

If so, yes, they are the same AFAIK

I should have been clearer ,  that and do you know of any good 2nd hand/used examples atm - Thanks

Edited by iborguk

Above one is for a prefacelift car and has the slash tips welded on. Facelift ones have straight tips and are removable. 

Just to bring this one to a close, I thought I'd give you all a laugh (make you weep?) at OEM Porsche prices. PC Norwich told me the price of a replacement backbox/muffler for the 986 facelift model is... £1,941.73. I did say to the parts guy before he told me the price that I was already sitting down.

That doesn't include the Oval shaped exhaust tip, which comes in at an additional £388.38. Bargain!

The 'good' news on the above prices is that they're both inclusive of VAT...

I think, having driven it more since, that I'm going to stick with the aftermarket box I got fitted. It may be noisier, but it does look better than the original.

Thanks all for your various input.

1 hour ago, Holdie said:

Just to bring this one to a close, I thought I'd give you all a laugh (make you weep?) at OEM Porsche prices. PC Norwich told me the price of a replacement backbox/muffler for the 986 facelift model is... £1,941.73. I did say to the parts guy before he told me the price that I was already sitting down.

That doesn't include the Oval shaped exhaust tip, which comes in at an additional £388.38. Bargain!

I think, having driven it more since, that I'm going to stick with the aftermarket box I got fitted. It may be noisier, but it does look better than the original.

I'd keep an eye on ebay if I were you as good  genuine Porsche ones are still out there.  I'veJust picked up a 2nd hand silencer with zero split seams for £40. Probably good for at least another 10 years.

4 hours ago, Holdie said:

Have a look at the Heritage website, they have the full Danks range and I saw one this morning reduced from circa £1300 to £700 ish.

Danks are very good and are not cheap drone boxes which are absolutely horrific. 

• Like 1