The clock in my car keeps time very poorly

McDonald

23 hours ago, Araf said:

Do they still use 555 timer chips?

Still ticking;

https://www.electronicsforu.com/technology-trends/learn-electronics/555-timer-working-specifications

23 hours ago, mike597 said:

It's does you just don't see them in the same way. Software is built to run on hardware. Hardware can deteriorate over time and the result can be different inputs - perhaps ones the programmer never catered for. Parts can be replaced by other almost but not quite identical replacements.  Assumptions made in good faith can over time be found to be incorrect y2k is a good example of that. 

Was a nice little earner back in the day supporting clients through y2k and then following year through the euro conversion.  Those two new years earnt me the deposit on my first flat. ✌️

No never saw any y2k bugs actually cause any issues either in the field. 

How do you see the moving parts in software. 

You've been watching the Matrix again haven't you  :laugh:

Take mobile phones that eventually begin to run slower, that is as often intentional as otherwise. Gotta get the masses to upgrade  ;) Didn't the big companies get fined heavily for that.

I remember well the charlatans and chancers milking Y2K for all it was worth :)

I can't be the only one who blocks automatic updates if possible on their phone/PC, they often as not cause more problems than they solve IMHO.