The clock in my car keeps time very poorly

McDonald

3 minutes ago, T911UK said:

Im afraid niether will be the problem, they all do it, its tied in with the PCM and there is nothing that can be done.

I suspected this was the case. I don't think my battery is a problem, the car starts first time, every time. I drive the car a lot! I've no idea what a flux capacitor is, or does.

9 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I suspected this was the case. I don't think my battery is a problem, the car starts first time, every time. I drive the car a lot! I've no idea what a flux capacitor is, or does.

The Flux Capacitor helped Marty McFly & will help you go back to the future. :)

Edited by perebrine
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, T911UK said:

Im afraid niether will be the problem, they all do it, its tied in with the PCM and there is nothing that can be done.

I don’t remember seeing time drift on my 987.1 (no PCM had CDR-24) or my 987.2 (with PCM including NAV - GPS time being sent to PCM?)

20 hours ago, McDonald said:

Sorry yes poor time travel joke re flux capacitor as @perebrinesaid 🙂

Edited by iborguk

On 6/4/2022 at 6:29 AM, McDonald said:

Considering that cheap digital watches have kept good time, it seems odd that the clock in my car loses minutes every month. A trivial issue but curious.

Look on the bright side.

If it was one of the mechanical watches so favoured by many it would be even poorer at keeping time AND it would cost more to service than the car does  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 6:29 AM, McDonald said:

Considering that cheap digital watches have kept good time, it seems odd that the clock in my car loses minutes every month. A trivial issue but curious.

Mine is exactly the same - I wondered what the problem could be, considering it's plugged into a trickle charger all of the time I had assumed it wouldn't be the battery.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:21 AM, T911UK said:

I guess if this is the case, I'll put it down to a feature 🤣 

5 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

Mine is exactly the same - I wondered what the problem could be, considering it's plugged into a trickle charger all of the time I had assumed it wouldn't be the battery.

I guess if this is the case, I'll put it down to a feature 🤣 

I imagine it's more difficult to make a digital watch that doesn't keep time - Porsche have managed it. Curious as the rest of the car is so finely engineered.

Not on a 987.1 for sure, maybe a 987.2, I dont know. Maybe yours will do it in a few years? Looks like they are good for 15 years or so before they fade..............

I used to be on a fancy watch forum where people obsessed over how accurate their watches were (a Rolex forum - not very accurate!!). It was in the days of dial-up modems, not permanent connection to the internet.

The discussion progressed to  "if my ten quid Casio can keep time to 1-2 seconds a month, why does the clock in my expensive laptop computer gain/lose 3 minutes or more?"

Never forgot someone's comment "my laptop clock would be more accurate if someone took out the chip, ground the chip into dust, and let the dust run through an hourglass..."

• Haha 1

We need a @Richard Hamilton to help us with this. This clock issue appears to affect cars worldwide. Poor show by Porsche in not looking at keeping these things running correctly past a certain timeframe. It really should be an integral part of developing software for the PCM where you go through all scenarios that are inevitable. 😡

5 hours ago, The Caped Crusader said:

We need a @Richard Hamilton to help us with this. This clock issue appears to affect cars worldwide. Poor show by Porsche in not looking at keeping these things running correctly past a certain timeframe. It really should be an integral part of developing software for the PCM where you go through all scenarios that are inevitable. 😡

There's 2 limitations in play when it comes to software.  

1. The software designers/developers capacity to come up with the full range of scenarios

2. The cost of testing all such scenarios and producing solutions for them all.

Ultimately like everything software is built down to a budget.  We don't expect mechanical components to last a lifetime so why do we think software should?

4 hours ago, mike597 said:

We don't expect mechanical components to last a lifetime so why do we think software should?

Because software has no moving parts would be my counter.

I've worked on PLC's with iffy RAM/ROM whereby the program occasionally dropped some instructions but could be reprogrammed by hand and resurrected temporarily, no problem with the software though.

Anyone else remember the Y2K bug?

I've been working in electronics for over 35 years and have only ever seen one type of machine affected by the Y2K bug and even then it just buggered up the date, the machine still runs fine and has done for over 22 years.

Strangely we have a couple of German machines with IPC'S that keep poor time (set the time correctly and it will revert overnight) despite being connected to the mothership in Germany, is there a German time conspiracy 🙄 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, EXY said:

Because software has no moving parts would be my counter.

🙄

It's does you just don't see them in the same way. Software is built to run on hardware. Hardware can deteriorate over time and the result can be different inputs - perhaps ones the programmer never catered for. Parts can be replaced by other almost but not quite identical replacements.  Assumptions made in good faith can over time be found to be incorrect y2k is a good example of that. 

Was a nice little earner back in the day supporting clients through y2k and then following year through the euro conversion.  Those two new years earnt me the deposit on my first flat. ✌️

No never saw any y2k bugs actually cause any issues either in the field.