981 sound is officially the best

bandit_287

I had a play today with a 718 GTS 4.0, he was quicker than my 2.7 981 obviously, not by a massive amount up to around 80 but after that the extra punch soon showed. We both pulled up at the lights and he said that mine sounds fantastic compared to his and what was the exhaust I had? Just the standard PSE I said, he was flabbergasted. I’ve driven a 718 GTS 2.5 and that sounded a bit shyate so I’d say that the 981 with PSE in sport mode wins hands down. 

caveat- would I have a GTS 4.0. Yes! It was a cracking car. 

It's true but that's how it is now 😭.  The 2.7 does sound very nice with PSE though. The owner would have been even more shocked if you had the 3.4 as they hold pretty steady with them, the 4.0l seems to make its headline power figure very high up.

There was a thread on this on PCGB the other day. I’d like to move from my 981 s to the 4.0 GTS in a few years and assumed it would sound better. Nope, another car strangled by opf. Means it will need an exhaust which won’t be cheap. I’ll make the move and buy an exhaust though as I am expecting it so be a better car in all regards. Some time away yet though!

That's good to hear (boom tish) with the 2.7 + PSE that I've got.

I've tried the 718 2.5 for few hundred miles and whilst I can appreciate that some don't care that it's 4 cyl, it's smooth enough and it's evidently a far chunkier torquey motor - I have no desire to own one and the reason is down the noise.  My arm could be twisted for the 4.0.

52 minutes ago, moospeed said:

That's good to hear (boom tish) with the 2.7 + PSE that I've got.

I've tried the 718 2.5 for few hundred miles and whilst I can appreciate that some don't care that it's 4 cyl, it's smooth enough and it's evidently a far chunkier torquey motor - I have no desire to own one and the reason is down the noise.  My arm could be twisted for the 4.0

Be interested to hear if anyone jumped from a 987 with PSE to a 981 with PSE re perceiving a  difference on sound. 

I’ve got PSE on my base 718 (don’t hate me) and it’s made me giggle a lot. Yup I also get that’s total marmite. 🙂

Edited by iborguk

I had a 4.0 GTS on order prior to buying my 981 GTS.  As others confirmed the 981 blows the 718 4.0 out the water for sound there’s just no comparison, but that 4.0 engine is an absolute peach and has a much wider torque band which makes for a faster car when not ringing it out through the whole rev range.

I am hoping to upgrade to a 4.0 next year on the understanding I’ll need to do the OAP’s at the very least with a valve controller.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:17 PM, iborguk said:

Be interested to hear if anyone jumped from a 987 with PSE to a 981 with PSE re perceiving a  difference on sound. 

I’ve got PSE on my base 718 (don’t hate me) and it’s made me giggle a lot. Yup I also get that’s total marmite. 🙂

Yeah no hate here, it’s just not for me.  Life would be boring if we all wanted the exact same thing.

The one I had also had the chrono and PSE, and I gave it the “full berries” a fair bit so plenty of opportunity.  It was with a view to buying that as an upgrade.

Being the S 718 against my Base 981 it was a lot quicker, and I wouldn’t say I hated the noise like I’d hate a diesel but when I got back in mine it was instant “oooh yeah”.

Totally agree.. the (PSE) sound is what really delights in my 981S! 

PSE for me is perfect, you press it when you don't need to be quiet and instantly you have the fuller sound and pops that make you giggle!  My cousin bought a 981S on the back of driving mine - beware though not all 981s are built equal it seems... my 2014 981S with PSE vs his 2012 981S with PSE, and his is around half the volume driven similarly.  Both cars stock.  We even took the cars to an OPC and the technician couldn't figure it out, only saying there might have been changes to the baffles between those build dates.  

On 6/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, GTSMarky said:

The 4.0 GTS is the only Porsche I'd change my BGTS for..

Interesting. As a 981 GTS owner with an order placed for a 4.0, I took the same view. Having a play with the 981 at Millbrook on Sunday reminded me of what a superb car it is and three of the 911 owners who attended commented on how great the sound was on the GTS. It’s almost made me reconsider the 4.0.  Almost but not quite.

Why would you forsake your BGTS for a 4.0?

29 minutes ago, hl8354 said:

PSE for me is perfect, you press it when you don't need to be quiet and instantly you have the fuller sound and pops that make you giggle!  My cousin bought a 981S on the back of driving mine - beware though not all 981s are built equal it seems... my 2014 981S with PSE vs his 2012 981S with PSE, and his is around half the volume driven similarly.  Both cars stock.  We even took the cars to an OPC and the technician couldn't figure it out, only saying there might have been changes to the baffles between those build dates.  

Sometimes the valves are seized, sometimes the changeover valves in the vacuum system are playing up, the loudest ones are probably blowing a little the bolts holding them together are made of chocolate.

7 hours ago, jhemus said:

Interesting. As a 981 GTS owner with an order placed for a 4.0, I took the same view. Having a play with the 981 at Millbrook on Sunday reminded me of what a superb car it is and three of the 911 owners who attended commented on how great the sound was on the GTS. It’s almost made me reconsider the 4.0.  Almost but not quite.

Why would you forsake your BGTS for a 4.0?

I would on the basis I can modify the exhaust as per my previous post. I had an extended test drive in a 4.0 and it was utterly superb. It’s an improvement everywhere on the 981 with the exception of the exhaust sound. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hl8354 said:

I had my September 2013 registered 981S PSE replaced under warranty a couple of years later and there was a definite change in sound from old PSE to new PSE

I am sure the exhaust itself must have differences as it became much louder and raucous

FWIW it was the back 2/3rds of mine that was replaced both sides, I believe

13 hours ago, daz05 said:

Sometimes the valves are seized, sometimes the changeover valves in the vacuum system are playing up, the loudest ones are probably blowing a little the bolts holding them together are made of chocolate.

The technician checked for seized valves (no issue here) but not anything else.  But the other points you raise I've not considered before, very interesting!  Seeing as I had a PPI when purchasing around a year ago (and the OPC exhaust-off was around 3 months after purchase date), would this not be picked up at that point?  

3 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I had my September 2013 registered 981S PSE replaced under warranty a couple of years later and there was a definite change in sound from old PSE to new PSE

I am sure the exhaust itself must have differences as it became much louder and raucous

FWIW it was the back 2/3rds of mine that was replaced both sides, I believe

What happened to the original exhaust to require a replacement?  If you're coming to the South Bucks meet next Tues I'll see you there.

53 minutes ago, hl8354 said:

What happened to the original exhaust to require a replacement?  If you're coming to the South Bucks meet next Tues I'll see you there.

One side had a sticking flap, warranty replaced both!

4 hours ago, hl8354 said:

The technician checked for seized valves (no issue here) but not anything else.  But the other points you raise I've not considered before, very interesting!  Seeing as I had a PPI when purchasing around a year ago (and the OPC exhaust-off was around 3 months after purchase date), would this not be picked up at that point?  

Really depends, the vacuum faults can be intermittent and most likely wouldn't be picked up.

50/50 whether they see issues with the exhaust on the inspection.

If you are interested I made a video on YouTube showing some of these issues, should come up if you search 981 PSE.

11 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

One side had a sticking flap, warranty replaced both!

I'm sure the car knows when the one of the valves aren't playing ball, during cold start it won't open the valves even with the button on until it gets some temperature. I guess the system looks for confirmation, you would think a car with one of the valves stuck open would then be louder but it's not the case.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:29 PM, daz05 said:

Really depends, the vacuum faults can be intermittent and most likely wouldn't be picked up.

50/50 whether they see issues with the exhaust on the inspection.

If you are interested I made a video on YouTube showing some of these issues, should come up if you search 981 PSE.

Cheers Daz, I’ve passed this onto him.  Fun fact I realised I’ve seen this video prior to my purchase.. a great resource thanks!

• Like 1