Headlight polish

AlphaGaz

On 6/29/2022 at 9:08 PM, AlphaGaz said:

I recently bought a 2003 3.2S which needs some TLC.  Polished the light today which were very faded using a 10 quid kit from Ebay.  Results are amazing even though I got caught out by a shower when the sealer was still soft but still a massive improvement for the money.

Also cleaned the roof for the third time and it turns out its blue not black!

porsche lights.jpg

I’ve got to do this job properly, can I ask how you took the headlights out please?

10 hours ago, onedesi said:

I’ve got to do this job properly, can I ask how you took the headlights out please?

On the 987 you put in a long tool, from the frunk, one quick turn and the headlight pops out. And it looks to be the same on 986

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBB said:

On the 987 you put in a long tool, from the frunk, one quick turn and the headlight pops out. And it looks to be the same on 986

It is indeed teh same on the 986.  Peel back teh carpet from the frunk seal and remove one retaining clip, fold teh carpet down and you will find a black rubber bung that you can pull out, or just a hole about 30mm in diameter.  There is a tool in the car's tool kit, if you ahve one, however these are often burred out as they are not very durable.  A deep 5mm socket on a 4" or longer extension will do it but you ahve to be a bit bold and it will release with a bit of a bang.  As it comes forward there is one plug to disconnect.  Refitting is a bit fiddly aligning the locking bar an the light unit in the 3 guide channels, turn the fitting to draw the light unit back into place until it clicks, again quite a lot of turning force required.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BBB said:

Thanks both, next weeks job sorted 😄

im hoping having litronic lights makes no difference.

3 minutes ago, onedesi said:

Litronics have two connectors - one mounted on the tray/lamp the other is a loose connector.

If you don’t connect both you lose the auto levelling feature which means very poor illumination of the road. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onedesi said:

I have Litronics, so no problem hopefully. One socket aligns and plugs itself in, the other is as I described.

Edited by ½cwt

apologies for the slow reply but yes pretty easy but like many have said use a 5mm socket not the rubbish porsche tool to release the lights and if you have headlight washer jets be careful not to damage the lights as you pull them over the washer jet