New owner - exhaust problem

scottishpedro

Hi all

I just picked up a 2007 3.4 Boxster S, the car is in really nice condition and I’m loving it so far

The one problem I’m having so far is with the exhaust. It’s an aftermarket exhaust which actually sounds great above 3.5k rpm but is so loud and droney at anything below this, so much so it hurts my ears!

has anyone got any suggestion about what exhaust I could change to?

i see Milltek do an exhaust for a 987 gen 1 3.2 and a gen 2 3.4 but can’t see a gen 1 3.4 option, do any Milltek options fit the gen 1 3.4?

I’ve heard good things about the carnewal service but I guess I’d need to find a good used exhaust first for this

any help would be great

thanks

Peter 

Thanks for the replies guys

The more I read about carnewal the better it sounds, I’d just need to find a good used exhaust which might be hard, could get lucky I guess

I emailed Milltek and did get confirmation that the 3.2 gen 1 exhaust also fits the 3.4, although they only do the resonated version for this

if searching for a used exhaust does any know if the 3.2 gen 1 stock exhaust also fits the 3.4?

and yes, I’ve been keeping the revs as high as possible so far 😂

Cheers

Peter 

The best sounding and what I can see value for money is the Spyder Performance exhaust. These might not be in stock on their website so would have to drop them a message but they sound great. 

@bally4563 has the switchable version of this exhaust. 

I have the ebay cheapy one and loads of people complain about the drone but I don't get any. You cruise at 60 in 6th and it's barely louder than stock. Maybe I just got lucky - I dunno.

Meno is right - balance pipe joining the two sides together is said to eliminate the drone. Climb underneath and see if your system has one. If not someone like powerflow can prob fab you one up for not much £££. If the system is in good nick it's worth a punt before shelling out on a new one.