Textar brake pads

deanmr2

Has anyone had problems with Textar brake pads squealing? (They are supposed to be Porsche OEM) I am in the process of changing the rear discs and pads on my Boxster S but have read on some forums that the Textar pads cause brake squeal. Has anyone had any issues with these pads. 

Fwiw.  I recently did the rears on my 987. I used Porsche parts (from opc) and the pads were labelled with both a Porsche part number and and textar branding. 

However just because textar make those pads doesn’t mean that every pad that comes from their factory is the same, there will be different compounds and and perhaps different tolerances.  

a local Indy suggested to me that squeal is a product of the compound and profile of the pads and the composition of the disks.  They said they had stopped using pagid disks because they found them more prone to it. 

that said. My previous 987.2 was fitted with pagid/textar combo on the rear by the supplying dealer and they were fine. 

depends on the model of course but the shims (where required) seem to make a difference.  (For the 987.2 the S has rear shims on the rear, the non S doesn’t. ) 

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Fwiw.  I recently did the rears on my 987. I used Porsche parts (from opc) and the pads were labelled with both a Porsche part number and and textar branding. 

However just because textar make those pads doesn’t mean that every pad that comes from their factory is the same, there will be different compounds and and perhaps different tolerances.  

a local Indy suggested to me that squeal is a product of the compound and profile of the pads and the composition of the disks.  They said they had stopped using pagid disks because they found them more prone to it. 

that said. My previous 987.2 was fitted with pagid/textar combo on the rear by the supplying dealer and they were fine. 

depends on the model of course but the shims (where required) seem to make a difference.  (For the 987.2 the S has rear shims on the rear, the non S doesn’t. ) 

Thanks Paul that is interesting, the only reason I was going to use the Textar pads was because I had read that they were OEM but then I read about the brake squealing caused by using them. I have bought Brembo discs so I think I will buy the Brembo pads which you would think should be compatible and also fit new shims. I could be wrong but I think it is just the S models that use shims in the rears.

Thanks for your reply 

Dean

Just fitted them to the front of my 986S and I do have the shim plates fitted.  It was Textar pads that came out too fitted by PO.  Only minor 'issue' is they seem to be very dusty, or perhaps with the mileage I've done this summer I'm just not cleaning as often in terms of mileage intervals.

I fitted Texstar pads with new coated disks to front and rear. No shims were fitted (2.7 987). They have done around 3000 miles and the only slight occasional squeal I get is very high pitched but it is barely audible. I'm quite picky but its nothing that I would call unusual or bugs me.