Xenon bulbs / spare bulb kit

Angus76

Hi everyone, my car is equipped with option 601 Xenon headlights. I’m trying to source the correct spare bulbs and a general spare bulb kit for other lights.

I’m usually pretty good with sourcing all sorts of parts but I’m finding it tricky to be sure I’m finding the right ones! 

Any pointers / links appreciated! 

Thanks 👍

24 minutes ago, Angus76 said:

Hi everyone, my car is equipped with option 601 Xenon headlights. I’m trying to source the correct spare bulbs and a general spare bulb kit for other lights.

I’m usually pretty good with sourcing all sorts of parts but I’m finding it tricky to be sure I’m finding the right ones! 

Any pointers / links appreciated! 

Thanks 👍

I think..... start here: https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/originalpartscatalogue/

Grab the 987 2005-2008 doc.

Then goto illustration 905-001 - which I think is the right one for Option 601 .

From there I see two headlight bulbs - the Xenon and an Additional" Halogen ( think that's there so when you flash your lights they come on straight away rather than the Xenon warm-up)

Gas discharge lamp

- PHILIPS -

999 631 036 90

Halogen bulb

H 11

999 631 144 91

Then go and have lie down before searching for the Gas Discharge Lamp bulb cost - seems a very expensive "insurance policy" - the OPC price being approx £170 inc vat. (before discount!) - google lead me here at that point...... no idea if this is correct, but seems (to me) more viable as a spare ( but still equivalent to "a kidney" for a bulb)

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1549/Headlamp-Bulb-H7-for-Litronic---Bi-zenon-Porsche-models/

I think I read that those were the only bulbs that were covered under Warranty - suggesting to me that they probably don't blow often but who knows.....

Of course - Check my homework........

HTH

• Thanks 1

If this is to travel abroad and a just in case you get stopped scenario then just grab any box and stick some old bulbs in it. 

17 minutes ago, edc said:

If this is to travel abroad and a just in case you get stopped scenario then just grab any box and stick some old bulbs in it. 

^^ this ^^ 

I seem to remember that it used to be the case for France that you were supposed to be able to replace a bulb at the roadside.  However. With modern lighting system replacing a failure led headlight may not be a diy option let alone a roadside one.  I suspect if it’s still a rule it’s another legacy one. 

I have a Halfords bulb kit from about 10 years ago in my car.  I think there may be a usable number plate light in there but otherwise largely useless.  I do also have a fistful of Porsche sized fuses and some cable just in case I need to shirt out a pesky clutch switch or similar.  Those all live in the same plastic box in the cubby in the frunk.  

They are standard D2S xenon bulbs in 986 and 987 xenon lights.  Please don't pay Porsche £150, just get a decent brand as a spare or to replace them.  I refreshed my 986S Litronic bulbs with Osram standard 35W D2S bulbs, when they were on a good offer on CP4L, which made a notable difference as the performance of these discharge bulbs degrades with time.  I dropped the old bulbs in the new bulb box and I chuck them in the car when travelling, just in case.

• Like 1