Sports Plus

718as

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

One brave soul who retrofitted the wart clock themselves on a 981...

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1236944-981-sport-chrono-dash-clock-retrofit-photo-heavy.html

Been done by a few now. YouTube has a good vid on a DIYer. Braver than me 😂👍

So those with the knowledge. Having Sport Plus retrofitted at your OPC what exactly does it give you and any idea of cost 👍

1 hour ago, bandit_287 said:

It gives you launch control but to be honest it’s totally unusable for the road, the shifts are too aggressive and it revs to the redline before it changes in each gear on my PDK. I never use it but SPORT is engaged a lot. 

You can change up (and down) before the redline with your paddles remember..

21 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

It gives you launch control but to be honest it’s totally unusable for the road, the shifts are too aggressive and it revs to the redline before it changes in each gear on my PDK. I never use it but SPORT is engaged a lot. 

This, I used it a few times but never bothered after that - waste of £800 in my view.

it might be better suited to the Boxster, but it was unnecessary in the Macan.

It is a more aggressive throttle and gearbox map, think it shaved 0.1 or 0.2 secs off the 0-60 time on paper.

S

1 hour ago, Ringmaster999 said:

So is there a difference in the actual car’s performance from Sport. Which as we know when activated has a different notable performance than normal. 

Sport on mine changes the throttle response and makes the gearbox ( PDK) less keen on selecting higher gears. I find it nice for "pressing on" on fun roads since I dont have to be quite so committed to enthusiast inputs to make the car more readily take or hold a lower gear. The PSE also burbles a little more readily. I find it makes the car "snatchy" at low speeds - so I tend to switch out of sport when I get to juntions/towns etc. if I expect to be slowing and stopping.

Adds to the fun for me

Sport + is more of the same - done it a few times but not felt the need to use ot for longer periods and launch.... well it makes a light come on the steering wheel saying "launch" so whats not to like.

• Thanks 1

Definitely more fun in a Cayman with Sports Chrono, but have to say it’s not a mode you would drive in all day though. 

Having said that, why buy a sports car knowing it’s not got fast and fun modes on tap? I suppose you could buy an MX5 instead if you want to save money!

I’ve been using the Sports Plus more and more lately, wouldn’t consider it without sticking with manual paddles though - not sure there’s any situation where the automatic and S+ makes any sense, not even on track.

Even been leaving the PASM on hard as well lately, when I first got it I thought that was for track only but it’s actually still good, even with 20”s 

I tried launch control once and bailed out, it didn’t seem mechanically sympathetic so decided against launching.

2 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Oh I didn’t realise that, I thought those silver things sticking out either side of the wheel were the volume control. 

Of course thats what the silver things are there for, they help control the engine noise, bit obvious really, glad you have caught on. There's also a pedal type thing near your right foot, thats the actual main volume control. If there is anything else you are unsure of, just mention it on here.  :)

• Haha 1

Best thing about sports chrono is the extra slip angle you get if you have the traction control on. The dynamic gearbox mounts are the worst feature because they seem to be fragile on some cars, even brand new ones!

Flip the pdk lever to the left and use your paddles on the road, then you might appreciate it a little more.

• Like 2