Frozen Window - New regulator

sa utah

So it's that time of year where the windows get frozen on the 987.....

I should have known but of course lift the handle, heard a weird noise and the window is now totally loose!     So a new drivers side regulator required.    I did the passenger one last year so know the procedure now.   

Just watch out and make sure you defrost somehow before trying the handles !

I wonder how Boxsters that live outside in properly cold countries cope.............

• 2 weeks later...

Got the door stripped down today (freezing but the only day I have for a couple of weeks) only to find there was a pretty new looking regulator in there and the glass had just become detached.   Not surprising as the screws which tighten up the two clamps were loose !   The glass was always a bit misaligned so whoever did the job last time should have stayed in bed.      As I was in there and for peace of mind I still fitted the new regulator so have a "used" one in stock in my ever growing collection a car spares.....   Must have a clear out.   Perfect alignment now and as a bonus the little bit of wind noise I had from the window seal near the trailing edge has gone.   

Back to two fully working windows,   For now....

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering how many other Porsche owners couldn't get into their cars this week...   Mine is totally frozen solid.    Door handles, windows, the lot.        Had to poor cold water on the other car to get into that but at least the windows do§nt have to drop on that !

On 11/22/2022 at 7:05 PM, sa utah said:

So it's that time of year where the windows get frozen on the 987.....

I should have known but of course lift the handle, heard a weird noise and the window is now totally loose!     So a new drivers side regulator required.    I did the passenger one last year so know the procedure now.   

Just watch out and make sure you defrost somehow before trying the handles !

I wonder how Boxsters that live outside in properly cold countries cope.............

Mine broke today,  dropped the window to reset after battery disconnect to fit starter motor and got the awful broken glass sound. Managed to get the window up somehow and 99% all the way up so looking for a replacement. How hard is it to fit? 

I think it’s pretty straightforward  but guess it depends on your comfort zone.  Just another win for Lego being my favourite toy as a kid I guess.   Everything is a Lego kit to me.  Without instructions unless there’s a YouTube video !  

I think I did a write up somewhere on here about sealing up the bottom of the metal door membranes to stop water getting into the door panel carpet and then into the car floor. 

definately make sure that’s done as the foam seal will be toast.  

just a bad time of year to tackle such things. 

I can tell you you’ll need the following before starting 

new regulator ( mine was actually ok and the glass had slipped out but you’d have to wait for 3 days from your OPC if not in stock if you find yours is bust.  Don’t get an aftermarket one. 

New door card clips.  Come in a bag of 10   You WILL need these as they break or just don’t work a second time 

Tube of sims flex sealant for inner membrane

trim removal tools.

torx bits

tea

biscuits

hot bath  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...