2003 986. Frunk won't open, car unlocks immediately after locking, horn double beeps.

moneypit

Hi, as title. I normally frequent the 987 part of the forum. Asking for a friend who isn't on here. Anyone shed any light on this? This hasn't been the happiest of experiences for him as an ownership prospect, but he loves the thing. I'm just trying to find a cheap fix as it's bitten him fairly badly in the time he's owned it. Any input appreciated.

12 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Probably this.

Sounds like your friend has central locking issues hence the frunk won't open.

What area are you?

Hi, I'm in deepest darkest central Newcastle!  🙂Thanks for the input. 👍

Just to be clear than, is the issue related maybe to the switch or latch specific to the frunk not allowing the car to lock?

3 hours ago, Boxstclever said:

What issues do people have with the non Porsche replacements?  I've never had a problem with them.

Same here, I think Trooper has had some bad experiences with some in the past and assumes this is an ongoing issue with the current locks available.

17 hours ago, moneypit said:

Sorry, dumb question probs, but if it's a door latch, why won't the frunk open?

The lock modules all "talk" to each other, so if one is not working correctly, it throws the whole system.  Really need to get the codes read to ascertain which one it is.

Edited by Boxstclever

4 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Same here, I think Trooper has had some bad experiences with some in the past and assumes this is an ongoing issue with the current locks available.

Quite a few issues including more than one member on this site alone who fitted a cheap aftermarket module and it deadlocked. The drivers door locked and would not unlock.

It is quite simply not worth the risk and I will never fathom why someone would fit a cheap crucial part to a Porsche when an original used one can be had for £40.

Do a job once, do it right.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Quite a few issues including more than one member on this site alone who fitted a cheap aftermarket module and it deadlocked. The drivers door locked and would not unlock.

It is quite simply not worth the risk and I will never fathom why someone would fit a cheap crucial part to a Porsche when an original used one can be had for £40.

Do a job once, do it right.

Using a used part that could be 20 years old isn’t doing it right. If the original OEM part failed after 20 years, there’s a reasonable chance the one from the scrappy will too.

51 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Using a used part that could be 20 years old isn’t doing it right. If the original OEM part failed after 20 years, there’s a reasonable chance the one from the scrappy will too.

I can only give you my honest experience Mr Nobbie having owned over 120 986's and worked on many more.

7 hours ago, Boxstclever said:

The lock modules all "talk" to each other, so if one is not working correctly, it throws the whole system.  Really need to get the codes read to ascertain which one it is.

Thank you, I'll pass that on.

When I get a beep on locking my car I know something isn't 'closed'. If your front boot lock doesn't apparently unlock have you checked it isn't already 'unlocked'? It might look locked, but try lifting it. It could be the 'solution' and at least is worth trying! (Always try the simplest things first!)

Edited by Rev Ken

22 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Tend to agree with this.  Surely a used part has a higher propensity to going wrong in the near to medium future compared to a new non genuine unit having a manufacturing defect?

If the non original unit is that much of a worry, then a new genuine replacement is your only option? 

1 minute ago, Boxstclever said:

Tend to agree with this.  Surely a used part has a higher propensity to going wrong in the near to medium future compared to a new non genuine unit having a manufacturing defect?

If the non original unit is that much of a worry, then a new genuine replacement is your only option? 

Not really.

The cheap pattern parts can be shocking quality. 

I have fitted loads of used genuine modules and never had a problem but as I said, I can only give you my honest opinion from working on Boxster's every day.

Some customers prefer a genuine new item which is fine but they cost circa £300 compared with £40 for a used one.

Door lock modules, window regulators, MAF's, ignition switches, O2 sensors etc ..... Stick with what Porsche used at manufacture. 

• Like 1