Battery change has taken out windscreen washer??

Daveb975

Further to my thread/question about changing the battery on my 987.1S, I thought everything had gone well, but have now noticed that the windscreen washer has not come back!

When I pull back the stalk, the wipers operate as usual, but no spray. There is no noise from the pump at all.

I've checked the level in the tank and that I've not physically done anything wrong whilst installing the new battery, but all is fine there.

I can't see a separate fuse for the washer, so it would seem unlikely to be that as all other systems appear to be working.

Could it be a built in design fault, like where the car conveniently 'forgets' it has certain options after a battery change? That seems unlikely because the windscreen washer isn't an option, and I left the car on CTEK power whilst changing the battery so didn't even get the PSM/Airbag warnings this time.

Any ideas appreciated!

Never heard of that particular "forget" - and since the car had power and you didn't even get the PSM error then I agree it seems unlikely.

Are you sure it worked immediately prior to the battery swap and its not just a fault that you have only just discovered ?

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Never heard of that particular "forget" - and since the car had power and you didn't even get the PSM error then I agree it seems unlikely.

Are you sure it worked immediately prior to the battery swap and its not just a fault that you have only just discovered ?

Yes, it was definitely working last time I used it, probably a week or so ago.

The level ran down a while ago and I got the dash warning, so filled it up with fluid then.

The fact there is no pump noise seems to indicate that the battery change has either taken out the fuse or the pump itself.

I've tried removing fuse F10 on row B as that refers to 'Heated Spray Set' as well as Climate Control and Rear Heater. The latter two circuits stop working when I remove the fuse and start working again when I put it back in, so that proves that is good at least.

2 hours ago, Daveb975 said:

Ive tried removing fuse F10 on row B as that refers to 'Heated Spray Set' as well as Climate Control and Rear Heater. The latter two circuits stop working when I remove the fuse and start working again when I put it back in, so that proves that is good at least.

The “heated spray set” is referring to the heated nozzles, rather than the pump itself. According to this thread the pump is powered from the body control module via the CANBUS (although the thread relates to a 2008 model).

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/981770-2008-porsche-boxster-location-of-windshield-washer-pump-fuse.html

If that’s correct, then try checking for voltage at the pump to confirm, and your pump may have coincidentally failed.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I once had that with the headlight washers on a 997 after a battery change. As @Paul P eluded to, the handover routine with PIWIS fixed it. 

Thanks Richard.

Yes, it seems to be heated seats and headlight washers that can be fixed by the handover routine, but the windscreen washer isn’t.

It seems as though the battery change is coincidental this time.

I’ll test voltage at the pump if I can get to it without taking the wheel off!

4 hours ago, Daveb975 said:

Thanks Richard.

Yes, it seems to be heated seats and headlight washers that can be fixed by the handover routine, but the windscreen washer isn’t.

It seems as though the battery change is coincidental this time.

I’ll test voltage at the pump if I can get to it without taking the wheel off!

Doing a pump on a Gen 2 this morning.

Arch liner out and one 13mm bolt for the bottle.

Two pumps if you have headlight washers 

• Thanks 1