Drone box - which is best / least worst?

Tycho

54 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I'm about to test this theory. I have the dronebox and it really isn't that bad. Don't notice it at all with the roof down which is how I usually go. Makes a good noise when your foot is down but it's just a little 'flat' sounding so I'm going to get a balance pipe welded in between the silencers. By all accounts this will kill the drone, give me a tad more midrange and sound wicked. Been meaning to do it for ages but I'm hopefully getting it done next week. Wish I'd done it before I had it fitted - would've been so much easier.

Ok keep us posted please.  I still have my drone box in the garden and might revisit it now I know it was blowing out of both u bend clamps.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Mine is a base model 2.5 litre so only has 5 hears. Easier to get it to 3,000 rpm on the motorway without really breaking the speed limit.

Yes indeed. Cheap and cheerful. I do prefer the standard exhaust but boy oh boy these sound great when you're driving in a more spirited fashion. 

Re the DB killers - they do work but the car sounded like an asthmatic moped. Hated it and took it out after 5 minutes. I'd rather live with the drone!

The DB killers are much more effective if inserted after the u bends as they enter the silencer input tubes. Bit of a faff to do though, but does stop the asthmatic moped sound.

4 hours ago, JonSta said:

I'm about to test this theory. I have the dronebox and it really isn't that bad. Don't notice it at all with the roof down which is how I usually go. Makes a good noise when your foot is down but it's just a little 'flat' sounding so I'm going to get a balance pipe welded in between the silencers. By all accounts this will kill the drone, give me a tad more midrange and sound wicked. Been meaning to do it for ages but I'm hopefully getting it done next week. Wish I'd done it before I had it fitted - would've been so much easier.

Something similar to this then? Circuitwerks in the US have modified the dronebox, linking the output pipes. They claim it makes for a better more subtle exhaust note.

Anyone on here fitted one yet?

HhYAF9zH.jpg

47 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Something similar to this then? Circuitwerks in the US have modified the dronebox, linking the output pipes. They claim it makes for a better more subtle exhaust note.

HhYAF9zH.jpg

I do think that would make the drone less. Something to do with the harmonics I would imagine. I remember very little from my engineering courses at Uni I'm afraid, but I'm pretty sure that the two pipes which are not connected cause the drone because of a harmonic dissonance between the two airstreams. If you connect the two pipes to each other - like they have done here -it will allow the airstreams to mix and this should minimise the drone.

I am sure there are people on this forum a LOT more knowledgeable than me on this subject and I would love to hear their opinions.

I went there today but the guy is off with a bad back. They showed me parts that would do exactly what that picture shows. In my mind I was imagining a straight pipe between the two boxes a bit like the one on the stock system. I kind've think that the earlier it is in the system the better it might work but I might be wrong.

14 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I went there today but the guy is off with a bad back. They showed me parts that would do exactly what that picture shows. In my mind I was imagining a straight pipe between the two boxes a bit like the one on the stock system. I kind've think that the earlier it is in the system the better it might work but I might be wrong.

I’m sure someone on here tried connecting the output pipes together, but I don’t think it was hugely successful. I’ll have a search around see if I can find it.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 10:39 PM, Meridianmet said:

It was good to meet @RedBarediver today, thanks for the exhaust, and your time, all for a donation to a worthwhile cause.  A gent, much appreciated, an for you need anything in the future, just message.

No worries at all. I hope you enjoy the exhaust mate :)

5 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

No worries at all. I hope you enjoy the exhaust mate :)

Trying to, got the old one off, only to find the u bend has been welded on on the left side, and an incorrect cat has been used, so new cat pipe required! 

It's been fine, I knew it was there, just a bit of an annoying one when you come to change something.

Anyone know what size the small threaded port in the cat pipe, not the larger O2 sensors? Looks like it should be M8, but the thread is a bit tight on the new pipe.

New cat pipe fitted, back box fitted, started and checked working ok, all good, sounds good.  Went to put the bumper back on, and the tail pipes are to high up, so the bumper now won't fit, started getting dark, so gave up for the evening.

Anyone else had this problem?

2 hours ago, Meridianmet said:

New cat pipe fitted, back box fitted, started and checked working ok, all good, sounds good.  Went to put the bumper back on, and the tail pipes are to high up, so the bumper now won't fit, started getting dark, so gave up for the evening.

Anyone else had this problem?

Are you using the correct hanger/bracket for your car? There is a difference between 2.7 and 3.2 parts. 

On 2/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, eob said:

Is the general consensus that the Carnewal upgrade is the best compomise next to a full PSE upgrade?

I think the short answer is yes. Carnewal is one of the default recommendations on here for a sober/fun exhaust, many have got it, and I don’t think I remember one drone complaint in 10 years. As above, exhausts seem to calm down after a thousand miles as they soot up. 

22 hours ago, Meridianmet said:

After fitting the exhaust, I've got the position sorted, I just can't get the bumper back on correctly, the left side looks like it's touching the crash bar on the inside, so won't quite sit where it should. Any hints or tips on this?

Thanks.

Have you tried slackening of the exhaust mount in the centre and all the clamps so that there is some movement? Then try fitting the bumper prior to retightening everything.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:33 PM, jonogt6 said:

HhYAF9zH.jpg

Just noticed the inlet and outlet pipes to and from the silencers are offset.  Pretty sure my drone box they are straight so no offset.  Generally OE boxes are offset like this where the inlet and outlet do not meet up and this forces the gasses to have to pass through the silencer's innards.  I think this image help explain it.  Of course we dont know if that exhaust above just has a pipe connecting the inlet and outlet with some bends in it.  I also found a pic of the standard exhaust cut open.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL211ZmZsZXItY3V0b3Blbi5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjI5MH0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoiYXZpZiJ9fQ==

Ever wonder what's the inside of that huge muffler on your boxster? -  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

I've had my '01 S since September last year and from then I've been thinking that I need to do something to make it a bit louder.

I'd seen that Spyder switchable exhaust and that that would be ideal....until I read about it being a bit over the top from numerous people who'd gone that way.

Part of me thinks I should just drill a couple of holes in my exhaust. On the weekend I'm going to have a look at the bolts and see if they are rusted and immovable...and then decide from there to either replace the standard back box or get the drill out.

Originally I'd mentally put £500 in the pot for more noise. Seems exhausts are either £200 drone boxes or £1k plus Top Gear type options. 

On 2/15/2023 at 1:28 PM, ATM said:

Just noticed the inlet and outlet pipes to and from the silencers are offset.  Pretty sure my drone box they are straight so no offset.  Generally OE boxes are offset like this where the inlet and outlet do not meet up and this forces the gasses to have to pass through the silencer's innards.  I think this image help explain it.  Of course we dont know if that exhaust above just has a pipe connecting the inlet and outlet with some bends in it.  I also found a pic of the standard exhaust cut open.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL211ZmZsZXItY3V0b3Blbi5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjI5MH0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoiYXZpZiJ9fQ==

Ever wonder what's the inside of that huge muffler on your boxster? -  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

You are right, I did not notice the offset so they have evidently altered the gas flow as well.

Does anyone know what Carnwell do when they open up the standard box? Do they just chop the baffles and transfer tube out the 3 mid chambers? Or do they add anything? Modify? I have seen the cut marks and can see they open up all 3 mid chambers.

• 2 weeks later...