Difference between 981 and 718

718as

• 4 weeks later...

I had a new 718 2 litre and now I have a low mileage 981S with lots of options including adaptive damping and multi adjustable seats. 

the 718 was appreciably quicker because peak torque was developed at 1950rpm, not 4,500. In the wet it would spin the wheels at 70-80mph exiting a bend or overtaking. 

The 718 also handled better. The steering was more precise. My 981 isn’t as good as my AMG C300 Cabriolet. But more importantly the rear end is better behaved. 

I didn’t like the wiggly rear end of my 987 on the limit. I’d had an MX5 that didn’t do it, so I spent a fortune on the car until I found out that’s how they are. This problem is still on the 981, but less pronounced, but it’s not on the 718. 

The six cylinder engine on the 981 is smooth and quiet unless you rev it hard when it sounds very nice. The 718 engine is quite rowdy but has power everywhere. It’s a better engine for the road IMO. 

My 981S has adaptive suspension so a more comfortable ride on bumpy country roads and in mountainous areas where I enjoy driving. If I buy another 718, it’ll be the 2.5S with adaptive suspension and the multi adjustable seat. 

I sold my 718 because it was troublesome. 

I have a 356C and love the funny sounding engine, so I don’t object to it on the Boxer. 

• Like 1

The Turbo waste gate seized. The heater fan failed, the indicator switch failed and because there was no protection to the sills, they and the front of the rear wings were badly chipped after 1 year. Porsche painted the car but I had to pay for protection I believe they now fit. 

Also the driver’s side window would periodically refuse to demist. Porsche sent the AA out and I think they rebooted the software. 

I also run Mercedes and have had three at the same time as the Porsches and they’re bulletproof. 

I’ve had the heater fan fail on mine and it was replaced under warranty, seems to be an issue carried over from the 981 (it’s a 981/991 labelled part number iirc.)

Had the car sat around a lot re the Turbo waste gate ? I’ve heard of the issue and got the sense it was more of an issue for cars which sit around in wet climates like ours and the waste gate actuator seizes due to corrosion (like the PSE valve issue if they aren’t used regularly). 

Edited by iborguk