Boxster Shocks

Johnny5

Bilstein B4s (OE )or Koni Special Active will set you back about £420-450 for a pair. (Design 911 or Autodoc)  Originals from Porsche will be more like £700 for a pair.

If you do the fronts without the rears on a 18 year old you might get a rather strange feeling as the rear will feel softer.  OK on a daily family box, but on a sports car...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jbow said:

Having mine done now, around 480.00 for both front shocks, just waiting for the labour cost to come in

If you have not yet bought those, for Bilstein B4 it is a fair price, but Koni Special Active shocks are £430 on Autodoc today, which is not one of their better discount days.  You are almost certainly going to need drop links (TRW) too and it would be crazy to take it all apart and not change the top mounts; look for Sachs they are the OE supplier (Mister auto on eBay) and bump stops too.

Edited by ½cwt

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, paulo66 said:

hi noticed bilsteins b4 are only 160 odds at design 911, is this a good deal?

https://www.design911shop.com/p/bilstein-b4-front-shock-absorber-22-113313-vne-b331/

D911 usually have the best price on B4's. Presume they have a special deal with Bilstein as for most things they tend to be on the expensive side. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 6:59 AM, Johnny5 said:

Hi,

Quick question.  Any idea how much to have new front shocks fitted on a 987.1 2.7 Boxster, totally standard?

Thanks

What did you end up doing?

1 hour ago, paulo66 said:

hi noticed bilsteins b4 are only 160 odds at design 911, is this a good deal?

https://www.design911shop.com/p/bilstein-b4-front-shock-absorber-22-113313-vne-b331/

That's a fair price for B4s for a 986, OP has a 987... more like £216 for fronts and £230 for rears.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 7:01 PM, jbow said:

What did you end up doing?

Sorry for the late reply.  Got new front shocks fitted, along with new top mounts, drop links and bearings

What about a set of four Cayman R struts and springs?

I don't know how to source these cheaply though. Bilstein could be better overall since you can shop around.

That said, the base suspension is comfy and perfect for the road.

I had the -20 sports factory suspension on another Porsche and it was very rough on the road. Not it's forte, built for the track really - where it excells.

On 5/7/2023 at 9:27 PM, gillbe said:

Fitting myself, same parts as listed here plus bump stops and bearing thrust washers, cost me £640 from design911

Nice one.  Would be great if you can post up a guide on here for fitting….👍🏻

2 hours ago, DaveRB99 said:

Nice one.  Would be great if you can post up a guide on here for fitting….👍🏻

Not a full guide, but above tells the story and links to the Chris’s garage guide video that I relied on