Window issues

Gazcoedcae

I seem to have multiple issue with my 2002 986 drivers side window. Doesn't lower when either the inside or outside handle is pulled, doesn't lower when the roof is lowered, then lowers and raises only an inch at a time from the switch. Multiple presses needed to open or close the window. Any ideas where to start on this one?

My money would be on the door lock module.  Don't be tempted by a cheaper VAG or after market one, go Porsche (which is actually a VAG part number) or secondhand to avoid further issues.

The non drop with the handle certainly sounds like door lock.  I've had success with VAG ones, but others haven't.

The issue when pressing the switch may be unrelated.  If the lock change doesn't solve that part of the problem, check the motor.  Removing it, and plugging it into the other door will help you rule the motor in or out.

21 hours ago, ½cwt said:

My money would be on the door lock module.  Don't be tempted by a cheaper VAG or after market one, go Porsche (which is actually a VAG part number) or secondhand to avoid further issues.

What he said

I used a VAG part with absolutely no issues. The module is the same as Audi TTmk1 (model code 8N), Porsche actually quote the VAG part number in the e-katalog but charge over twice as much to put it in Porsche packaging. If you don't want to buy aftermarket try a VW dealer as it will be slightly cheaper. They are all made in China these days anyway.

Part number 8N2837016B

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Shazbot said:

I used a VAG part with absolutely no issues. The module is the same as Audi TTmk1 (model code 8N), Porsche actually quote the VAG part number in the e-katalog but charge over twice as much to put it in Porsche packaging. If you don't want to buy aftermarket try a VW dealer as it will be slightly cheaper. They are all made in China these days anyway.

Part number 8N2837016B

Some have tried to make different VAG part numbers work, as some online listings suggest they do, they don't.

• 3 weeks later...

Right guys, I've changed the door lock module for a secondhand Porsche part with no change to the fault. I've removed the motor from the regulator and plugged it back in to the same door, motor still only turns for a second or so with every press of the button. Swapped the switch over to prove it's not the switch. Window is now dropping with a door handle pull, but doesn't return when door is closed. Could the motor be toast???? Or how does the car know when the window is fully up or down?

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

Pretty sure. Down and hold for 10 seconds. Then fully up and hold the button for 10 seconds. If I am wrong, I am sure the masses will respond. 😬🤙🏻

Tried that, still no joy. Window drops only an inch at a time even when opening or closing the windows with key held over in door barrel. Not much info on this fault to be found online!

@Gazcoedcae I've got a motor from a failed regulator that stripped off it and kept just in case.  Could be the drive in yours has stripped some gear teeth or something.  Message me if you want to do a test with it.  Where are you in the country? - put it in your profile this is an occasion when it helps others to know!

On 5/1/2023 at 10:46 PM, ½cwt said:

@Gazcoedcae I've got a motor from a failed regulator that stripped off it and kept just in case.  Could be the drive in yours has stripped some gear teeth or something.  Message me if you want to do a test with it.  Where are you in the country? - put it in your profile this is an occasion when it helps others to know!

Thanks for the offer, I've removed the driver side window motor and plugged it in to the passenger side plug and the motor is still only turning for a second or so at a time. Hence I think the motor has had its day. New (to me) on order and will be fitting asap.

Anyone have a link for a new door membrane ? Seen them online for £75 but that's ridiculously priced for what's essentially a sheet of plastic!

On 4/7/2023 at 11:30 AM, ½cwt said:

Some have tried to make different VAG part numbers work, as some online listings suggest they do, they don't.

I used a Golf MkIV lock module and it worked fine, just needed to trim one of the plastic bits. Plenty of people have used alternatives successfully.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

I used a Golf MkIV lock module and it worked fine, just needed to trim one of the plastic bits. Plenty of people have used alternatives successfully.

Fair point, but not everyone has the confidence to trim a bit off. 

Generally people seem to have more grief if not the correct VAG module based on what I read.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:46 PM, ½cwt said:

Thanks for the offer, I've removed the driver side window motor and plugged it in to the passenger side plug and the motor is still only turning for a second or so at a time. Hence I think the motor has had its day. New (to me) on order and will be fitting asap.

Anyone have a link for a new door membrane ? Seen them online for £75 but that's ridiculously priced for what's essentially a sheet of plastic!

On 4/7/2023 at 11:07 AM, Shazbot said:

Part number 8N2837016B

Do you know if this is the 9 or 8 pins?  Very early cars like mine have the 8 pin plug.

Here's all the part numbers for all the door lock for the life of the 986.  These are the ones the will work.  You need ones listed with /L and /R for left and right fitment (/RL is for RHD cars).  There maybe other VAG ones that can work or need 'a bit trimming to fit' but still work, however these are the Porsche listed ones and even Porsche use the VAG numbers as they do with a few other parts like the ignition switch and some engine sensors:

Tsty0s8.jpg 

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1