Headlamp PPF

andygo

Has anyone self installed?

My 2016 lights are pretty good at the mo with just a tiny bit of peripheral crazing but I'd rather do a bit of preventative work rather than restore with abrasive and clear coat.

Any suggestions for PPF?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Carmine said:

peripheral crazing sounds more like age/UV/delamination than stone chips?

Yes, thats correct. I understand PPF helps stop any further UV damage. Hence why I'd prefer to act before i have to sand the lenses down as the crazing is barely noticeable.

keep in mind that should you wish to remove the PPF, it will more than likely also remove the remains of your UV coating.

I've had Expel film on mine for about 5 years so far. I managed to negotiate it free whilst they were wrapping the bumper.

cant imagine PPF preventing the crazing that they suffer from , will only prevent stone chips. Also read an article a while ago that Headlights should not be covered with PPF due to the heat produced by the light can cause damage to the lens cover ??? 

It seems that some of the better quallity PPF films (for example Excel) are UV resistant and as such I'd imagine that therefore protects whats underneath. I'm looking for something that I can apply DIY and wondered if anyone has any experience of a DIY application.

1 hour ago, Patt said:

it will more than likely also remove the remains of your UV coating

My understanding, having worked in commercial lighting is that the UV resistance isn't from a coating but rather is inherent in the make-up of the material. It is in a constant state of degradation. Once it gets to the age of our older cars' lights it needs something with UV protection in a coating or the like to slow or halt the UV affected degradation

I have experience with applying films DIY, but not on headlights.

In my experience the more expensive (better quality) film makes installation much easier and thus a more professional looking result.

You will be surprised how durable the big brand name films is, the cheep Chinese stuff has to be thrown away if you make the slightest error or even crease.

When I wanted to wrap my wheels, I drove into a wrap shop and asked them for a length of the film for cash - easiest way to get the good stuff.

Take your time and use TOO MUCH soapy water are my tips.