Engine sh!t itself

Randeep

2 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Yeah, they have quite a few. That's who my garage is recommending, but it ends up at circa £5K after fitting and preventative measure (IMS/AOS)...if I could get a 3.2 I think I'd take the plunge, with a 2.7 I'm still on the fence.

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

How about this? (you can probably tell I'm bored at work...)

This has got to be worth a punt. I know it still has 6 days to run on the auction but if you make the guy an offer of £1,500? The Dansk exhaust on it is worth probably half of that already. You an always sell the bits you don't want (I seem to remember you already have a Dansk exhaust).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234985820555?hash=item36b63f118b:g:oiYAAOSwcEtkFWnJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0ObHo6i%2BVHCAr6620tJvKrMjuhr%2Bq0wN1IqeXc%2Bz0Fdc0D7l1PrMkBj0l%2BliVNM0J%2BJEcE%2B%2BbX3m3zZZ8fbRUo4LhwIxMnJrsVgMLK9pDU2L%2Fs5PD7P45CAufUdpR12cR01FexdbE1FGngvpNRd1h9a%2Fq5xfNxd%2FtJPjWVgkD23T1lCJdptO%2Bzq1jN6hnf8qg1svvfaba46M%2BRpqNOOK9MlJ4TOJ00gC5b%2BmixdBTiEPfCrXbvDo5Kagvav8ek0RRb1NNI1uSGADO0%2BjoJhP10M%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7Tgqrr2YQ

I asked this chap, he said he has no evidence of it running and its on 135k...its a proper punt, two dead engines would cause a divorce with the other half 😞

On 4/24/2023 at 4:54 PM, Randeep said:

I asked this chap, he said he has no evidence of it running and its on 135k...its a proper punt, two dead engines would cause a divorce with the other half 😞

Yikes. That would not be a good thing. Best thing is probably to get it exchanged for a refurbished engine. At least that comes with some sort of guarantee. £3k and it's up and running again. Seems to me like a pretty good deal. 

Granted they take the old engine but you wouldn't want the old engine taking up space in any case. 

I have considered selling mine for £3k or £3.5k and getting a 911. Problem is if I do get a 911 it's going to be at minimum £12k for a dog and at least £15k to £18k for a decent one. Then you can bank on spending some money to bring it up to where you want it. Minimum another £5k? 

If I spent another £5k on my Boxster it means that the whole thing is basically brand new (or as close as it can get after 25 years) and would be good for the next 10 or 15 years. 

That would still in total be cheaper than a £12k 911. And a £12k 911 is going to cost significantly more than £5k to get good again.

Then again you can pick up a decent looking 3.2 from Autotrader, spend some cash on that and have peace of mind (and more horsepower...)

Although, some of the prices on Autotrader are just insane. There's a lot looking for £7,495 for a 2.5 litre Boxster with 89,000 miles on the clock. No hardtop either. Just madness.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:51 PM, Randeep said:

Yeah, they have quite a few. That's who my garage is recommending, but it ends up at circa £5K after fitting and preventative measure (IMS/AOS)...if I could get a 3.2 I think I'd take the plunge, with a 2.7 I'm still on the fence.

What is the reason for changing the IMS Bearing - assuming it is just the bearing?

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Update and a question, so after a few months of thinking and searching, I managed to find a replacement engine from a two owner car (109k) which had been part exchanged as it failed its MOT on brakes, pipes, suspension and needed a few K on remediation work. The garage (Statller Sheffield) then decided to break it as it made more financial sense so I went to hear it running then had the engine removed and shipped.

I've had the new to me engine fitted to the car with upgraded ceramic IMS, new Sachs clutch, new AOS, 987 airbox, 911 plenum, 911 throttle body and a poly-bushed engine mount. Going to collect later this week and apparently its running well...

Now the old engine had an IMS failure, but as I didn't need to provide a return to Statller the garage have the engine and are asking what I want to do with it. So question, does an IMS failed engine have any value or is it scrap?

Will let you know how the car drives once I get back in it!

Cheers,

Randeep

• Like 5

On 9/6/2023 at 5:50 PM, Randeep said:

Hi all,

Update and a question, so after a few months of thinking and searching, I managed to find a replacement engine from a two owner car (109k) which had been part exchanged as it failed its MOT on brakes, pipes, suspension and needed a few K on remediation work. The garage (Statller Sheffield) then decided to break it as it made more financial sense so I went to hear it running then had the engine removed and shipped.

I've had the new to me engine fitted to the car with upgraded ceramic IMS, new Sachs clutch, new AOS, 987 airbox, 911 plenum, 911 throttle body and a poly-bushed engine mount. Going to collect later this week and apparently its running well...

Now the old engine had an IMS failure, but as I didn't need to provide a return to Statller the garage have the engine and are asking what I want to do with it. So question, does an IMS failed engine have any value or is it scrap?

Will let you know how the car drives once I get back in it!

Cheers,

Randeep

When I was in similar situation a few years back, I was told the old engine still had some value left in it. 

Heads are probably worth around £300/£400 each alone.  Unfortunately for me I had to return the old engine as part of the replacement.

On 9/13/2023 at 4:16 PM, Glider said:

Do you mind me asking how much this solution will end up costing you?

Mine is a bit of long story, but think I paid around £3700 for a replacement engine fitted, with a new clutch and fly wheel and some other bits.

On 9/6/2023 at 9:08 PM, map said:

@Randeep - sounds like you’ve made the best of a bad situation.

Look forward to reading your first impressions 👍

So got the car back, the ECU took a while to apparently learn the new setup but seems to be operating within tolerances. Torque feels better than before, the induction noise is much louder with the air box and plenum, etc. feels faster but hard to tell as I haven't driven it for months! Only done a few miles so far so will have to see how it goes with a few more fast roads.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 8:46 AM, Sanky said:

Mine is a bit of long story, but think I paid around £3700 for a replacement engine fitted, with a new clutch and fly wheel and some other bits.

That's a good price, the engines have gone up considerably as have the parts. I paid just under £2k for the engine and it cost about £1.5k in labour, then additional parts of clutch, IMS, AOS, sensors, belts, service items, etc were about £1k. The 987 airbox, 911 plenum, 987 maf, 911 throttle body and the fitting came to about £700ish. These are a bit ball park but gives you an idea.

Good to hear you got a solution that didn't involve breaking the whole car. £3,700 all in seems to be a pretty good deal to me. At least now you have some peace of mind and confidence that the engine will last for the next few years at least.

When I had my suspension refreshed Paul checked my camshaft deviations and they seem to be very good for a 106,000 mile car (0 degrees and -3 degrees) so I'm hoping that means the engine will last. In the second to last oil change I saw some small pieces of reddish-brown plastic / bakelite in the filter but nothing in the latest one. With the next oil change I plan to drop the sump and look at what's collected in there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 5:50 PM, Randeep said:

The engine is definitely worth money.

Take it apart and list anything undamaged on eBay (heads will be worth the most I guess)

Anything damaged separate the metals, aluminium block, steel crank etc. and weigh in at a local metal recyclers.