987/981 PDK box

bandit_287

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/997-forum/1310810d1575833869-guide-to-repairing-a-pdk-transmission-pdk-factory-t-shoot-document.pdf

There’s quite a few good techs on this forum who have a far wider knowledge than me so would anybody know if the 987 PDK gearbox is the same as the PDK fitted to the 981. Having a physical look at mine it looks identical to the box in the link above. My car is an MY16 registered in 2015 and the tsb is from 2011. 

49 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/997-forum/1310810d1575833869-guide-to-repairing-a-pdk-transmission-pdk-factory-t-shoot-document.pdf

There’s quite a few good techs on this forum who have a far wider knowledge than me so would anybody know if the 987 PDK gearbox is the same as the PDK fitted to the 981. Having a physical look at mine it looks identical to the box in the link above. My car is an MY16 registered in 2015 and the tsb is from 2011. 

There’s a different service interval for clutch fluid 987 to 981> and the software is different (the 987 doesn’t have the “sailing mode”’or both paddles / buttons for neutral so whilst they are possibly physically “identical” they probably aren’t “the same” 

7 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

Thanks, it really the physical exterior of the box that I need to know. The internals and software are different evidently. As I mentioned my pdk box looks identical to the one in the tsb. 

Is there a particular issue or concern ? (Beyond the recent rework you’ve had done)

I feel I’m being fobbed off by my OPC, the original box was leaking from point 5 on the TSB which is the bleeder screw and the only remedy was to replace the entire PDK which was done. The replacement box is weeping from point 5 again and the OPC had the car in and I was told they’d removed the plug and re-torqued it (why did they replace the entire PDK if they could just remove and replace the plug?) I have queried this and was then told it wasn’t leaking from the bleeder screw but a bolt further up on the box that was running down the side of the box. I had already had a look and could see it weeping from the bleeder screw again. I’m pretty sure they are telling porkys as there doesn’t seem to be a bolt that it could be leaking from to run down the side of the box without the tsb stating to replace the PDK if it’s leaking from that area. Im going to have a look under the car again to see if there is any evidence of a leak from point 5 again in a week or so. Either way I’m not happy about this. 

Perhaps drop a mail to the PCA folks and/or the Atlanta Speedworks guys from the youtube vid setup and see if they have any insight into the issue or any physical differences ?

Vid link ( since I had it in the paste buffer) 

So I guess for a baseline of what box revision is in the car you could ask for a copy of the worksheet re the warranty work, when the box was replaced. That should have the box part number on it. 

I've done that re warranty work for my file on a car and the OPC has been happy to provide it.

If it's still leaking I'd go direct to the Head of the Centre and or engage another Centre on it (assuming geography allows that).

Edited by iborguk

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

Cars booked in early June for a fortnight for the box to come out again. I’ve sent them pics of it p*ssing oil from the bleeder screw. Courtesy car booked for the time it’s in. 

It's being replaced again ?

Sorry I'm confused, what has a 987 pdk box got to do with your issue?

Why not just check the part number and any markings /stickers on it to confirm the production date. Does the box they apparently replaced look clean or well used?