Creak/rattle/knock - could it be the tank?

ScotFox

40k 2013 base-spec

After getting the vehicle back on the road after winter recently, a rattle/knock that I had always thought might be drop-link related seemed worse (it tends to occur on rough town roads when one front wheel hits an imperfection at a different time to the other - but not always)…

It’s a bit odd in its lack of consistency and because it tends not to happen at higher speeds out on country roads. Tends not to happen when both front wheels hit a wide speed bump at the same time.

Changed the drop links today - didn’t solve the problem (to be fair, last week I disconnected one side and the issue still occurred). It doesn’t (any longer) sound like suspension - it’s too light a sound and I can’t feel it.

Long story short, I can recreate a creaking (which probably turns into more of a knock at higher speed) by driving at walking pace at a dropped kerb so that just the drivers wheel runs up it. The creak sounds like it’s in the centre of the dash near the screen or perhaps on the other side of the bulkhead.

I have removed the cosmetic battery Frunk cover, checked that the tyre compressor is secure, made sure the CTEK charger cable is secure - you name it…

Could it be the legendary tank creak at such low speeds? 

Is there any way to rule this in/out (without a lift)?

Thanks - tuning forks have come up as a suggestion elsewhere - and there may be more than one source of noise going on - but the ultra low-speed test last night if running one front wheel up the ramp of a dropped kerb really did sound like a progressive creak and I’d have thought the forks, joints etc. wouldn’t really have reacted to that gentle stimulus???

Strut braces?

So there isn’t a traditional strut-top-to-strut-top brace bar on my car at least…?

However, I did post something a couple of weeks ago when I started this investigation - an absolutely tiny (0.14mm - measurable only with a dial test indicator) vertical movement at the central damper thread/nut when heaving up on the hub.

Kinda discounted that in the end as the sounds didn’t really fit the location or the mechanism for triggering the sound (I.e, if it was play/wear in the strut mount/bearing, it should trigger more readily with any rapid suspension compression/release - but it definitely favours situations where there is torsion across the front of the car)…

If its across the car could simply be an ARB bush(es).

Degrading rubber in the coffin arm bush or the front tuning fork bush.  Both flex with the rise and fall of the coffin arm/tuning fork. 

Re strut braces - there are two diagonals that go from the turret tops to the centre of the front bulkhead.  The bulkhead end of the braces have a rubber bush in them but that would be muted from outside by the bonnet and scuttle covers.  I'm not sure they flex much ether.

On 4/25/2023 at 3:55 PM, ½cwt said:

If its across the car could simply be an ARB bush(es).

Degrading rubber in the coffin arm bush or the front tuning fork bush.  Both flex with the rise and fall of the coffin arm/tuning fork. 

Re strut braces - there are two diagonals that go from the turret tops to the centre of the front bulkhead.  The bulkhead end of the braces have a rubber bush in them but that would be muted from outside by the bonnet and scuttle covers.  I'm not sure they flex much ether.

My indie has had type car all day today and called to say they think they’ve sorted it. I’ll get it back tomorrow - allegedly it was a loose strut brace. Bit of a shame that through other distractions and a bit of a lurgy in the last week or so, I didn’t get to check them myself!

thanks @1/2cwt

Bit of closure for the curious - got the car back yesterday - all seems fixed (roads in town are atrocious so it had a pretty good workout). I guess the strut brace has always been slightly loose in my ownership (I did ask for a clonk under the same conditions to be investigated during my brief warranty but nothing was found) and it has progressively accelerated.

Thanks once again for all your suggestions..l