Roof Treatments

P27GLN

Since I acquired my Boxster in 2019 I have had a couple of roof treatments done by official Porsche centres, normally cost about £250.00 a time. This Centre never really ellaborate on what kind of treatment they use nor the procedure

So recently I looked into Fabsil Universal Protector, the paint on version. I have say I am very impressed with the result and just had a heavy rain shower and this rain was seriously bouncing off or running of entirely

At around £30.00 per tin I think I will be using this in future, apply it as and when you want to for a fraction of the OPC roof treatment price and just if not more effective!

Opinions expressed are my own and of course not everyone’s choice 👍

£250 a go! the beauty of forums like this is that people have tried Fabsil and more for many years before ! 

• Haha 1

My OPC never did tell me what they used and what the procedure was. I was never to impressed by it neither!

Whereas with this Fabsil Universal Protector ( making sure you follow the instructions ) it took about 1 hour to apply by brush and I was soon impressed ( applied it on a nice day so drying time was quicker but essentially follow the instructions on the tin )

I purchased a 2 litre tin, and have loads left over to apply again whenever I want to

I was impressed!

check out the Fabsil website as they have other treatments that may suit you better than what I have used!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 1:05 PM, P27GLN said:

My OPC never did tell me what they used and what the procedure was. I was never to impressed by it neither!

Whereas with this Fabsil Universal Protector ( making sure you follow the instructions ) it took about 1 hour to apply by brush and I was soon impressed ( applied it on a nice day so drying time was quicker but essentially follow the instructions on the tin )

I purchased a 2 litre tin, and have loads left over to apply again whenever I want to

I was impressed!

check out the Fabsil website as they have other treatments that may suit you better than what I have used!

Getting some really heavy rains  showers in West Scotland and the difference is the rain does not eventually soak in, with this Fabsil Universal Protect even after hours the rain just runs off or sits on the roof in beads

Great product!

9 minutes ago, Chris D said:

Do mine about twice a year. 

Fabsil Gold.

Brushed on. Usually a chinese takeaway dish full for the whole roof. Make sure you clean & dry the roof first, obviously.

Chris D, Good, BTW, the only reason I went with Universsl Protect was because it provides UV protection when sitting in direct sunshine

• 5 months later...

I used Fabsil on mine just after I got the car around 4 month's ago. Although it's still effective, it's just starting to look like it could do with another coat before winter sets in, hopefully there will be a long enough break in the weather so that I can clean and get it dried.

• Like 1

Hi, I use the Autoglym fabric hood cleaner and protector,  not every time I clean the car but every 2 or 3, keeps the hood clean from sap, bird poo, traffic dirt, the protection certainly lasts to the next time I use it. I have a 50 year old MGB, obviously it is not a daily runner these days, but the fabric and the external stitching is in very good condition having used the same clean & protection method. Just me, but if I'd had a expensive protector applied,  I'd then be worried about washing the car for concern that I'd rub it off, so I just keep it clean and apply the Autoglym stuff, as the ads say, this "works for me", not everyone has the same time or environment...

Fabsil Gold = higher silicone content, more beading

Fabsil = lower silicone content, but has UV protection 

BTW, the roof has three layers, the middle of which is the waterproof layer. The outer fabric doesn’t actually need to be waterproof, but I’m sure it helps to repel water and keep it cleaner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BBB said:

Fabsil Gold = higher silicone content, more beading

Fabsil = lower silicone content, but has UV protection 

BTW, the roof has three layers, the middle of which is the waterproof layer. The outer fabric doesn’t actually need to be waterproof, but I’m sure it helps to repel water and keep it cleaner.

Sounds about what I read. Cheers.

On 11/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, M12MTR said:

Sounds about what I read. Cheers.

I think the Fabsil Universal Protect has the additional UV protection, great for summer, this is the one I use with impressive results and long term protection, but I normally clean and repaint mine twice per year 👍