Too (not) much oil!

Chris Re

Hi, last June I had my 981 2.7 serviced by an indie, unfortunately they overfilled the oil! They realised the error and took some oil out and after a 10-20 mile run the overfill light went off and all was well. Until driving home from Le Mans on the motorway when on came the warning. I turned off, turned the engine off while we had a coffee. All ok, warning gone. An hour later same thing ! Next 4 or 5 months no issue until after a longish run on the motorway again up came the warning.
so, I am thinking that highish speeds on the motorway, high oil temps, some expansion of oil, and if the fill is borderline it triggers the sensor. Possible?
Also it may be the sensor may be faulty. However, I wanted to know if it is possible to change the oil filter without draining the oil? If so what sort of amount of oil would it reduce?
The oil was only changed 4500 miles ago, so don’t want to go through all that again, but a change of filter would do no harm.
I cannot possibly be producing oil (if I am I should join OPEC !) water is fine with no loss but that would just evaporate at oil temps of 103-105 C
any help would be appreciated

if you changed just the filter, then some oil would likely seep out while you swap the two over, which might alleviate a slight overfill situation.

however, i wouldnt do that. if you're changing the filter, you might as well change the oil as well, and then you know for sure you've put the right amount back in.

Do you have a physical dipstick?

Welcome :) confusing that your profile says 987.2...

I forget about on the new engine but it was known on the old one that if oil was overfilled, take out the filter and empty it, suggesting you could.

but I'll wait for an expert to confirm.

Indy's overfilling 981 with oil seems to be emerging as a common thing - seen at least a couple on here and a few on other forums.

I don't know what the problem is - but I do know that the PIWIS diags has a  very specific level measurement available - and there are documents on what the hot and cold levels should be so they don't have to depend on the dash display to know what the level is - and I think there is a guided process for changing the oil, I guess that will say "drain, add x litres, run for a bit then add "this much more" type info"

Indy's should be aware of this and approach the oil changes a bit differently I think, seems some overfill and others put "enough" in without actually filling.

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Indy's overfilling 981 with oil seems to be emerging as a common thing - seen at least a couple on here and a few on other forums.

I don't know what the problem is - but I do know that the PIWIS diags has a  very specific level measurement available - and there are documents on what the hot and cold levels should be so they don't have to depend on the dash display to know what the level is - and I think there is a guided process for changing the oil, I guess that will say "drain, add x litres, run for a bit then add "this much more" type info"

Indy's should be aware of this and approach the oil changes a bit differently I think, seems some overfill and others put "enough" in without actually filling.

Hi Paul,

hope you are keeping well. Thanks for the response. The overfill warning has come on 6 or 7 times in the past 9 months and 4500 miles so pretty sure it is not overfilled. My ‘solution’ is to change the filter but not the oil, that will take a bit of oil out, not sure how much but probably a cup or two. The resulting electronic measurement should then show hopefully I tad below max. If the overfill message comes on then I will suspect the sensor. However I now find that bu switching on sport mode the oil temperature is reduced so may try that on the motorway 

35 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

if you changed just the filter, then some oil would likely seep out while you swap the two over, which might alleviate a slight overfill situation.

however, i wouldnt do that. if you're changing the filter, you might as well change the oil as well, and then you know for sure you've put the right amount back in.

Do you have a physical dipstick?

No dipstick on the 981 nor the 987 to my knowledge

52 minutes ago, Chris Re said:

Hi Paul,

hope you are keeping well. Thanks for the response. The overfill warning has come on 6 or 7 times in the past 9 months and 4500 miles so pretty sure it is not overfilled. My ‘solution’ is to change the filter but not the oil, that will take a bit of oil out, not sure how much but probably a cup or two. The resulting electronic measurement should then show hopefully I tad below max. If the overfill message comes on then I will suspect the sensor. However I now find that bu switching on sport mode the oil temperature is reduced so may try that on the motorway 

Not sure that the car would have used much oil in 4500 miles so could be just borderline on the overfill warning.  I think changing the filter is a good idea to drop the level slightly. But. You aren’t the first to have this issue, and to date I dint think anyone has actually had a sensor issue. 

Good luck sorting it 

1 hour ago, Chris Re said:

Hi Paul,

Chris. 

You confused me with your  username.   How’s things with you ? 

I had the oil overfill message on my newly purchased 981, had my mate that has a garage get it on the ramp and remove the oil filter, drain out the excess from the can, clean up and put back on, car now reads 1 block under full 👍

• Like 1