Hardtop roof leak

Nick C

Hi, I brought a hardtop roof in October last year and have noticed a leak coming from the front top corner where the roof seal meets the window pillar seal, it drips in onto my door speaker grill and into my umbrella compartment, I'll be taking the roof off in the next week but just wondered if anyone else has had this happen?? Only happens passenger side. Don't get any wind noise when driving. 

Many thanks. 

I had a leak like this but on drivers side and with the softtop.  Cured it by clearing accumulated gunk out of channel that runs within front window pillar rubber seal, from top of windscreen downwards.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gillbe said:

I had a leak like this but on drivers side and with the softtop.  Cured it by clearing accumulated gunk out of channel that runs within front window pillar rubber seal, from top of windscreen downwards.  

I'll have a look at that when I remove the roof. I get the odd drop when I wash it when the soft top is up but nothing major. Hopefully something simple. 

See if you can plump up the seal with some cord, washing line, plastic straw etc.

• Like 1

Just now, edc said:

See if you can plump up the seal with some cord, washing line, plastic straw etc.

I've read about this before, which part do you do?? The furry seal on the roof or the rubber seal down the pillar?? Does it just peel away then clip back in??

Before you mess with the seal, just try unlatching the front and undo the the rear handles. Then just lift the rear of the hard top and reseat the front into the two locators, then retighten front and back. The idea is just to take the pressure off the front seal, allow it to expand slightly and then reseat everything. I think the seal needs to be flexible to conform to the profile of the upper part of the windscreen and this just gives it another chance to fit properly.

If it is still leaking then send me a PM as I have a copy of the service manual for the hardtop and there are some instructions for moving the rear adjusters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick C said:

Hi, I brought a hardtop roof in October last year and have noticed a leak coming from the front top corner where the roof seal meets the window pillar seal, it drips in onto my door speaker grill and into my umbrella compartment, I'll be taking the roof off in the next week but just wondered if anyone else has had this happen?? Only happens passenger side. Don't get any wind noise when driving. 

Many thanks. 

I bought one myself in December but became despondent about water ingress & took it off after only a couple of months. I just couldn't stand the idea that while the soft top worked perfectly, the hardtop didn't.

I Gummi-phleged very thoroughly but never got on terms with the adjustments possible from those panels behind the handles. Replacing the seals is ludicrously expensive. I will try again in the Autumn and persevere. The idea is just too good to give up on it.

Mine was leaking on both sides.

BBB says his is a great success, so it can be done!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edc said:

I've read about this before, which part do you do?? The furry seal on the roof or the rubber seal down the pillar?? Does it just peel away then clip back in??

6 hours ago, McDonald said:

I bought one myself in December but became despondent about water ingress & took it off after only a couple of months. I just couldn't stand the idea that while the soft top worked perfectly, the hardtop didn't.

I Gummi-phleged very thoroughly but never got on terms with the adjustments possible from those panels behind the handles. Replacing the seals is ludicrously expensive. I will try again in the Autumn and persevere. The idea is just too good to give up on it.

Mine was leaking on both sides.

BBB says his is a great success, so it can be done!

I've got the roof sitting nice and tight against the body by adjusting the panel at each side and mine just drops from passenger side so hopefully its something simple. 

When I saw this topic on the list about a hardtop roof leak, I did wonder if actually it was a window seal leak, and here’s to the point for anyone with a soft or hard top maybe, that the drivers and passengers windows move down when activating the door handle and then back up every time the driver or passenger is closed, so considering how many times that must happen the wear on those seals must be a common anticipation

Just like reported in the topic, I had water ingress with my soft top coming in at the top of the drivers window but on the outside of the trim channel rather than the inside seal. I temporarily repaired this by inserting a cut to shape strip of sticky back felt

I also now spray the entire door / window seal more regularly with Fabsil Universal protect which comes in a spray can form

No more leaks but I have a feeling the entire drivers door window seal is needing fully replaced, but for the time being I am a bit confused and not sure if I am correct in that the main window seal which the inside of the door window has contact with is not the only seal,  is it correct that the outside of the window channel is also a seal in which case can it be replaced cause surely it’s part of the trim which is part of the soft top roof?

More research required

• Like 1

Another potential adjustment that helps with softtop top of window dripping ingress is to adjust the windows to angle in more, creating a tighter seal.  You should try hanging a sheet of A4 paper over top of door windows, closing door, then should be unable to pull the paper out.  Pelican have a help guide on this, including the bungs you remove at the base of door and bolts to loosen to allow regulator to move in, or out.

• Like 3