Shell V-Power 99 RON Umleaded or Tesco Momentum 99

P27GLN

I used one of the 99’s at Donington when fuel was at its peak. £2.35 per litre!

To think that it was 5s/6p a gallon when I started driving…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2023 at 4:10 PM, Lennym1984 said:

Yes but it isn't going to start pinking (assuming that everything else is operating correctly) on 95 or E10. The knock sensors are there to adjust for that and the fuel system has been designed to accept E10. I'm not disputing that it'll make more power on 98+ but I am disputing that running a mass-market, consumer product on standard fuel will cause any untoward effects. The OPCs fill cars with 95

The reason it doesn't 'pink' (haven't heard that expression in donkeys) is the ECU senses the issue before you and retards the timing to prevent it. The ECU has a range of settings it can use depending on fuel, temperature, use, altitude and lots of other stuff. Retarded timing leads to reduced performance whether you can feel it or not - just like not having a front strut brace. 

4 hours ago, JonSta said:

The reason it doesn't 'pink' (haven't heard that expression in donkeys) is the ECU senses the issue before you and retards the timing to prevent it. The ECU has a range of settings it can use depending on fuel, temperature, use, altitude and lots of other stuff. Retarded timing leads to reduced performance whether you can feel it or not - just like not having a front strut brace. 

Yeah I get it - I was responding to the poster who said that their car started pinking after using 95.

For optimal performance, super is obviously the way forward... But, you can't drive any fastish car flat out on public roads and so in real life the difference is going to be negligible and certainly nothing to worry about. 

LIkewise with E10. Yes on an old car it could create issues (I have first hand experience of ethanol eating through fuel lines on an old VW camper) but the 986 onwards were designed with this use case in mind and so it isn't an issue.

The only concern I'd have with E10 is storage

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

The only concern I'd have with E10 is storage

That's an interesting point.

My single cylinder 250 4-stroke trials bike will happily run on 10 year old fuel which certainly isn't E10.

Will winterised sports cars begin to suffer from stale fuel.

On 6/6/2023 at 5:44 PM, ½cwt said:

I didn't suggest it would did I?

@MichaelL44 is suggesting it did though and I  believe that  @Lennym1984 was attempting to ascertain why that would be the case.

Tell us some more about your Impreza Turbo that used the same amount of fuel regardless of grade :laugh:

23 minutes ago, EXY said:

That's an interesting point.

My single cylinder 250 4-stroke trials bike will happily run on 10 year old fuel which certainly isn't E10.

Will winterised sports cars begin to suffer from stale fuel.

Once again, I haven't personally experienced any issues but I think that the higher ethanol content allows it to absorb more moisture? Having too much fuel would be a nice problem for me to have!!

2 hours ago, EXY said:

@MichaelL44 is suggesting it did though and I  believe that  @Lennym1984 was attempting to ascertain why that would be the case.

Tell us some more about your Impreza Turbo that used the same amount of fuel regardless of grade :laugh:

No, it used the same value of fuel on either grade i.e. less SUL as UL on my driving style at least. Others may not have experienced the same results.

I always use the higher octane in any car I’ve owned-our old Suzuki SJ was much more lively on the good stuff.

What would be the difference price wise on a tank full of v power to a tank full of 95?

three or four quid? 
 All that lovely ethanol?-no thanks

13 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Once again, I haven't personally experienced any issues but I think that the higher ethanol content allows it to absorb more moisture? Having too much fuel would be a nice problem for me to have!!

If it does end up with a higher water content they will probably market it as 'water injection' to cool the piston crowns or some other nonsense  :(