Stereo Gremlins!!

Wigs

This has been happening sporadically over the last few weeks but when I turn my stereo on, sometimes there is no display, sound etc, I’ve tried turning car off, locking/unlocking but usually this doesn’t do anything. I can then come back to it later and it comes on as normal.

it is a cdr24 Bose model

Any ideas??

58 minutes ago, Wigs said:

This has been happening sporadically over the last few weeks but when I turn my stereo on, sometimes there is no display, sound etc, I’ve tried turning car off, locking/unlocking but usually this doesn’t do anything. I can then come back to it later and it comes on as normal.

it is a cdr24 Bose model

Any ideas??

The same was happening with mine: blank display (sometimes pushing hard on the surround brought it back) and either staying on but ignoring all buttons or not coming on at all. A fuse out reset would help for a few days but then it would do it again. 

I’ve just bitten the bullet and replaced the head unit in frustration.

Edited by BBB
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Worth pointing out (as @BBB does in his thread) that you'll lose front/rear fade on the BOSE if the head unit is replaced with a third party item.

It’s a really good caveat. I made sure I had good rear speaker balance before changing the head unit and I still have good volume levels from the back, I just can’t change it. Others have reported losing the rear sound entirely, perhaps because they didn’t set the fade before replacement, although I struggle to understand how the Bose amp decides this.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Recently joined this site and had the same issue in the past.  Was able to "fix it" (e.g., no display or displaying alien characters, no responding at all, can't turn down the volume, etc. etc.) by following this youtube 

In short, I basically cleaned this "zebra connector" top and bottom (after disassembling CDR24), and ensured the connection is good against the main board.  Also note that after reassembling, CDR24 did not respond correctly or seemed like it was not fixed, but after driving around for 5 mins, the car / ECU recognized the CDR24, and everything worked / working perfectly.

• Like 2