Removed my cover- HORROR !!!

alank

I have had builders next door for a few weeks now so decided to cover my box with a new condition  full cover i had for my ex 986.

Decided to lift the front part this morning to refit my repaired Alarm module ( which now chirps ), to my horror both my Headlights had Grazing to the lenses (looks like that crackle glass ornaments are made of) . Contemplated finnishing a bottle of finest single malt , but have gone to work thinking about my options, what a sh-t show. I know its a problem Porsche Lenses can have, shame they cant be made more robust , if Porsche know it happens.     I can only think it was caused by the sun beating down on the dark cover , in turn heating up the Lenses, as normally the clear plastic would not heat up in the sun.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated, many thanks  alan

Having done a DIY on some old units and de-chroming I'd recommend paying someone who has experience it's a pig of a job, lots of hours until you build the confidence up and the risk of damaging something is quite high, then you have the added complication of dust/debris getting into the unit. Buy second hand or pay a pro whatever is less.

Edited by daz05

3 hours ago, alank said:

I have had builders next door for a few weeks now so decided to cover my box with a new condition  full cover i had for my ex 986.

Decided to lift the front part this morning to refit my repaired Alarm module ( which now chirps ), to my horror both my Headlights had Grazing to the lenses (looks like that crackle glass ornaments are made of) . Contemplated finnishing a bottle of finest single malt , but have gone to work thinking about my options, what a sh-t show. I know its a problem Porsche Lenses can have, shame they cant be made more robust , if Porsche know it happens.     I can only think it was caused by the sun beating down on the dark cover , in turn heating up the Lenses, as normally the clear plastic would not heat up in the sun.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated, many thanks  alan

Ive got no reason to doubt what you say, but I'm just a bit incredulous that such deterioration can happen in a couple of weeks…. 

Before i covered it they were immaculate. What i thought and a repair company (Rennlens) said is that the dark cover acted like a greenhouse and kept the lens hot on the many sunny days we have had recently.  I would recommend , at least, not using a DARK cover in summer. A silver one probably would have been fine, reflecting the sun.

May have a word with a detailer and see if they can be sanded out and polished back, anyway drove it to work just now and still love it, all buttons pressed🙂

21 minutes ago, alank said:

Before i covered it they were immaculate. What i thought and a repair company (Rennlens) said is that the dark cover acted like a greenhouse and kept the lens hot on the many sunny days we have had recently.  I would recommend , at least, not using a DARK cover in summer. A silver one probably would have been fine, reflecting the sun.

May have a word with a detailer and see if they can be sanded out and polished back, anyway drove it to work just now and still love it, all buttons pressed🙂

Got some pics of the damage ?

Edited by iborguk

30 minutes ago, alank said:

https://imgur.com/a/7ErYUF4

photos of my lights. Apparently the top coat has gone . A detailer near me said he would do the refurb and PPF after for £199

I had mine done about 18 months ago, they still look new. Money well spent in my view.

49 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Ditto re the PPF , heard the same thing although that was with the top layer intact.

Yeah, I think removing the PPF tears off the uv coating.

Not such an issue on damaged lenses that need restored tho. 😢

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 1:40 PM, iborguk said:

Wow !

2OaAsmZ.jpeg

Is that some kind of aftermarket coating that has crazed?

I polish the lenses of my lights every 6 months or so when they start to look cloudy. Not a long job, but I was considering what UV protection to use as there seems to be mixed reviews on the results with coatings.

Yes, the UV didn't do the damage it was the heat caused by the cover directly laying over the glass, and probably causing the temp inside the light fitting to get excessive, and cause the outer clear coat to crack, probably some Thermal miss match or something??  All i know was it was perfect a couple of weeks ago before i put the cover over it.  Wont be doing that again, only in deepest winter🙂

Out of sheer curiosity, do the crazing marks lessen if you press hard (with the heel of your hand)? If they do, then the damage is confined to the very top layer of the polymer and is normally indicative of residual stress from the casting process. 

• 1 month later...