18” wheel and tyre issue on 2003 986 s

LotusDBX

Hi all

After some help if I can

I'm having the wheels on the Boxster refurbished and it's thrown up a dilemma on tyre size.

The car has 18" carrera 2 alloys. The rears have 17mm spacers to fit the hub.

When I bought the car it was running on 265 width at the rear (which are the standard size) and 235 at the front.  The recommended tyre width seems to be 225.

I'm now unsure if I should put 225 tyres on the front or stick with the 235s.

Is the wider tyre on the front there to compensate for the spacer on the rear or simply to add more grip to the front if the car was being used on track. 

I wanted to put the car to standard as much as I can so had purchased 225 tyres for the front but am worried it will upset the handling. Should I just stick with 235s?

Really welcome your advice. 
thanks!!

I might be wrong but i read that there was a facelift wider Carrera 2 alloys so it might depend on what the rim spec is. You can look on the inside of the alloy to find a marker with the alloy size as that would help. 

1 hour ago, LotusDBX said:

The car has 18" carrera 2 alloys. The rears have 17mm spacers to fit the hub.

Suspect that these wheels are from a 996 and not 986 originals.

Spacer and tyre sizes are the clues for me.

If I’m correct then I imagine that you should be able to buy a 986 set and then sell the 996 set so that you are essentially cash neutral.

That said a number of people run 996 wheels and non-standard  tyre sizes without any problems. 

Edited by map
Clarification.

Thanks all

So now have the part numbers from the refurb garage (paint was drying so didn’t want to touch them).

they are 18” carerra 3 lightweight alloys 

part numbers: 997.362.136.00 and 997.362.140.01

I think the 225s will fit the front but have asked the garage to check if the rear will clear the suspension/callipers etc.

worse case is the 15ml spacers stay but with the 265 rears and 225 fronts. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have these rims too on my Boxster, the spacer on the rears. 225 on the front, but what size profile are the tyres you are using. On mine they are Front 225x40x18, rears are 265x35x18, not sure if that is correct?

Obviously the wheel fill the arches fairly well, but was thinking of a suspension refresh too. Most suspension deals are offering lowering the car, I'm looking to keep the height due to the wheels taking up the space? 

Any advice most welcome.

Edited by colsmac

Standard 18" tyres for the 986 are 225/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear.

@colsmac you can stick to standard springs (X029) and still get a good update to newer damper technology using Koni Special Active dampers (this is the set up I have).  The Bilstein OE alternative is the B4.  If you go with the Konis they can cope fine with the H&R M030 springs check out Type911 for BoXa.net member offers ( @T911UK) which are a approx. 10mm lower.

I only replaced my front springs as one had broken, the rears are still the originals.  Unless they are heavily corroded they should be fine to keep, it is the dampers that age, leak and go soft...