Autotrader link

bandit_287

I went to look at the red GTS, not for me, I just couldn’t live with red(no offence) I then had a look at the Black 981S, it wasn’t up to my standard so I was pretty disheartened. Stopped for a coffee and browsed Autotrader and noticed a black 718 GTS nearly two hundred miles away that appeared to tick some boxes, filled the car up and drove all the way there to see it, private sale, low mileage, Porsche approved warranty until June 24, lovely condition and FPSH. Deposit down, just awaiting my insurance payout and I’ll collect hopefully in a couple of weeks. It was a lot more than I wanted to pay but I really don’t think I would have found a better condition and spec’d 981 than my Black edition so I had to purchase something that wouldn’t feel like a backwards step. Here’s to four cylinder motoring. 

8 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

I went to look at the red GTS, not for me, I just couldn’t live with red(no offence) I then had a look at the Black 981S, it wasn’t up to my standard so I was pretty disheartened. Stopped for a coffee and browsed Autotrader and noticed a black 718 GTS nearly two hundred miles away that appeared to tick some boxes, filled the car up and drove all the way there to see it, private sale, low mileage, Porsche approved warranty until June 24, lovely condition and FPSH. Deposit down, just awaiting my insurance payout and I’ll collect hopefully in a couple of weeks. It was a lot more than I wanted to pay but I really don’t think I would have found a better condition and spec’d 981 than my Black edition so I had to purchase something that wouldn’t feel like a backwards step. Here’s to four cylinder motoring. 

Great result in the end then mate :)

Looking forward to your impressions of it as a car and the pictures too, welcome to the 4 cylinder GTS club :)

2 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

There are certain colours that may look great, but make me wary of scroat envy.

Red, white, yellow are the main ones, and I also think that an all black+black wheels can attract the wrong kind of attention from those types of haters.

I was drawn in by my Sapphire Blue 'S' though, even though it's also a stand out colour. 🤨

9 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

I went to look at the red GTS, not for me!

I just hope you can live without a flat 6 in your life.

And yes I am offended... Better nip to Specsavers and see if they have any ear defenders while you are there 🤣

Edited by daz05
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

I agree the engine sounds like a bag of spanners and the exhaust note is not as fruity as the 981 but it’s bloody loud and my god it’s fast, press the overboost button and it is incredibly quick. 

Glad you found something quickly that worked for you. 

1 hour ago, bandit_287 said:

I agree the engine sounds like a bag of spanners and the exhaust note is not as fruity as the 981 but it’s bloody loud and my god it’s fast, press the overboost button and it is incredibly quick. 

I'll have a sound off against you but I won't race you. 🤣

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I'll have a sound off against you but I won't race you. 🤣

I want to go the other way on mine now and make it sound even more "broken", every time this came past I giggled inside 🏎💨

Edited by iborguk

• 2 weeks later...

The 718 GTS is home, it’s a totally different car to the 981, as said before the engine sounds like a scooby and the exhaust note is not a patch on the 981 with PSE but it is rapid. This model isn’t as well specced as my 981 but it’s got the standard GTS bits and a few bits more. The chassis feels a lot better, tighter and more controllable, the seats are very comfy with the wings, the steering is heavier and the LED headlights are excellent. I’ve a few bits to do to it. I’m going to take it for a full wheel alignment and get the 718 GTS badge fitted on the rear bumper. I’ll probably get the black wheels re-painted in silver but apart from that a full detail and ceramic coating. Would I have traded my Black edition in for this? No, but I hope it’s a good car and I’ll enjoy it as much as my BE. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

The 718 GTS is home, it’s a totally different car to the 981, as said before the engine sounds like a scooby and the exhaust note is not a patch on the 981 with PSE but it is rapid. This model isn’t as well specced as my 981 but it’s got the standard GTS bits and a few bits more. The chassis feels a lot better, tighter and more controllable, the seats are very comfy with the wings, the steering is heavier and the LED headlights are excellent. I’ve a few bits to do to it. I’m going to take it for a full wheel alignment and get the 718 GTS badge fitted on the rear bumper. I’ll probably get the black wheels re-painted in silver but apart from that a full detail and ceramic coating. Would I have traded my Black edition in for this? No, but I hope it’s a good car and I’ll enjoy it as much as my BE. 

That's something special indeed, if the chassis feels better than a 981.

I'd prefer silver wheels as well 👍

2 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Glad you are enjoying it, it is a better overall car than the 981 it’s just a shame it wasn’t released with a flat 6. But I can see why they did what they did with the flat 4 Turbo it is a seriously capable machine and other than sound track it’s a decent improvement over the 981 IMO. 

Get some pictures up when you can OP

1 hour ago, cozzykim said:

That's something special indeed, if the chassis feels better than a 981.

I'd prefer silver wheels as well 👍

You can add the chassis bracing as I've done to the rear and yours will feel even better too. The downside is that they ride a little stiffer but that's ok.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daz05 said:

You can add the chassis bracing as I've done to the rear and yours will feel even better too. The downside is that they ride a little stiffer but that's ok.

That sounds interesting. 👍
Is it on one of your videos?

Don't know whether my missus would appreciate a little stiffer ride though (I'd better clarify that I mean the car, don't know about anything else).

I honestly think that the 981 has the best chassis of any car I've ever driven. I don't know how Porsche have achieved this, but it's a revelation every time I drive it.

Chalk & cheese compared to my previous 987.2

• Haha 2

@cozzykim good luck with the wife 🤣

And yes videos on getting stiffer are in the usual places,  but the bracing install I did is on YouTube. I did the x73 arb already but the bracing from the 718 has made a difference.  My Car feels really good like this, the suspension at the rear has a nice stiff chassis so can work more efficiently, it turns in sooner and on off throttle inputs help push you around tighter stuff.

The other thing they did with the 718 was add slightly beefier shocks, improve steering software, and more dish on the steering wheel.

These things are all personal preference but I’ve recently found that anthracite wheels work really well on black cars…..you still see the detailing/shape, like you do with silver, but have a slightly softer contrast. Best of both worlds?

• Like 1