Autotrader link

bandit_287

I’m not sure if it’s permitted to share car links for sale but I’m still awaiting a call to inform me if my cars going to be written off or not, it should be today. I’ve been looking around for a potential replacement should it not be coming back. I’ve spotted this car for sale and just wondered if anybody knows it’s history or anything about it? Only red flag for me is the five owners in its life and what looks like the leather console has a couple of scuffs where it looks like it’s had something bolted to it. It’s not too far away from me so if I get the call I’ll go and have a look at it. 

edit, I can’t seem to post the link to autotrader, am I doing something wrong?

The plate looks familiar but I know nothing about it, it looks like a nice example, very smart in black. Priced on the higher side but it's stunning, good spec missing pasm but not a deal breaker.

If and only if.....your budget is up there and they can't discount the car I'd be tempted to look at a GTS if you are willing to pay almost £40k. Some red and white ones around in the mid to late 40s now. You'll have the cost of funding it but potentially a safer bet in terms of depreciation vs the top end of the S market.

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

The plate looks familiar but I know nothing about it, it looks like a nice example, very smart in black. Priced on the higher side but it's stunning, good spec missing pasm but not a deal breaker.

If and only if.....your budget is up there and they can't discount the car I'd be tempted to look at a GTS if you are willing to pay almost £40k. Some red and white ones around in the mid to late 40s now. You'll have the cost of funding it but potentially a safer bet in terms of depreciation vs the top end of the S market.

Aaaah.... so that devil on my shoulder who whispers in my ear whilst browsing the classifieds has a name.  And the devil's name is Daz 😈

Spotted car is £37k, well that's as near as dammit £40k. If I'm spending £40k then that includes everything up to £49k...  but then if I'm looking at a GTS then let's just have a quick look at a Spyder or a 718 GTS 4.0...  ooh a bit of a stretch but that's what finance is for right?

Don't listen to him Bandit, save yourself, it's too late for me I've been down this road too many times.... 😅

• Haha 4

They've written 20in Alloy Wheels - Carrera S, but they're not are they?  Or if they are I wonder what I've got.

PSE + Leather dash, winner winner :rocks:

Maybe the scuffed bit can be replaced.  I know there are "smart" repairs available but they've never been that smart in my experience.

1 hour ago, moospeed said:

They've written 20in Alloy Wheels - Carrera S, but they're not are they?  Or if they are I wonder what I've got.

They are 20" Carerra Classic wheels.
I've same and that is what my build sheet says.

It has sports plus seats, Sports Chrono, PSE and extended leather. All good

Has it got 2 zone climate or just A/C? 2zone a plus, simple A/C a minus)

Downside is the marked leather interior. Couldn't live either that. Needs replacing or repair. Low power  25W Xenons 👎

Interior a boring colour, especially with black exterior.

I couldn't have a  black car again. Always looked dirty 

Ignore @daz05! Set your budget and stick to it 😂

It's a big  £££ % step from a £38k BS to a £48k BGTS

You might lose a smaller % depreciation with a GTS over a S, but (for example)  10 % depreciation of a £38k S (£3800) is still less £ than 8% of £48k (£3840)

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

@moonshine 🫣🫣🫣😜, I'd like to query your optimism on depreciation figure for an S with an asking price of £38k, the bottom of the S market is sub £25k whereas the bottom of the gts market is £40k.

The other way to take my point is to consider that a good S in the lower £30s bracket is probably the sweet spot.  It is what I tend to recommend to most people, a nicely specified S at this price level is an absolute bargain Vs a GTS.

Still no feedback on the car as you asked OP, 🤣🤣🤣

Ps - I have spare leather console trims in my parts bin, they clip on and off so don't worry about that it is easily repaired or replaced.

Edited by daz05
  • Like 2

I’ve had the call that my gorgeous Boxster has been written off, gutted!!

I’ve booked to go and see the car tomorrow, it’s got full OPC history so I want to have it inspected and put the OPC warranty on it, he said they can do something with the leather but it’s good to know they just stick on. I may be in touch about those parts Daz. 

It’s got the extended leather, sports seats, PDK, PSE and flappy paddles I guess but no PASM or PDLS which is a bummer. My BE  had absolutely everything on it. I’m not too fussed about the lights as I’d upgrade the bulbs and ballasts. 

• Like 1

It does appear to have the 2-zone aircon from one of the photos.

I've got the 25W xenons in mine and have no problem with them. (But then I never really had an issue with basic lights in my 986 either, perhaps I just eat more carrots than most 😀).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@daz05

I agree the £38k S is priced on the high side, I was just picking numbers that would be easy to work with as an example.

The problem with a gts is you have to reach further, and whilst the % drop might be less, the monetary drop might be similar over a similar time frame 

A good well spec'd S with Sub 40k Miles should be available around £32-£35k.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moonshine said:

@daz05

I agree the £38k S is priced on the high side, I was just picking numbers that would be easy to work with as an example.

The problem with a gts is you have to reach further, and whilst the % drop might be less, the monetary drop might be similar over a similar time frame 

A good well spec'd S with Sub 40k Miles should be available around £32-£35k.

£32-35k? I can’t find a decent spec’d S for that. To replace my Black edition the only comparable one on Autotrader is coming in at just under £39k and that car is still way off the spec of mine. 

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

I’m looking at a 718 GTS tomorrow too.

Very nice what spec is it? Do you have a link? If you go in with an open mind regarding the noise I think you’ll see how brilliant they are. Try it in sports mode too it sounds even better then 😉

2.5 sadly my budget won’t stretch to a 4.0. I had a 2.5 as a loaner from the OPC a year or so ago and I thought it was okay, engine didn’t sound half as good as the 981 but it went like a stabbed rat and the chassis, seats and infotainment was a big step up. We’ll see. 

• Like 1

I had a 718s and thought its low end torque made it easy to driver at devastating cross country pace.

the 25 GTS will be super - Different to the 6 cyl,  but super none the less.

i didn’t mind the 4cy motor - but I’d never had a flat 6 before

1 hour ago, bandit_287 said:

2.5 sadly my budget won’t stretch to a 4.0. I had a 2.5 as a loaner from the OPC a year or so ago and I thought it was okay, engine didn’t sound half as good as the 981 but it went like a stabbed rat and the chassis, seats and infotainment was a big step up. We’ll see. 

Enjoy it’s a great engine and the GTS add PTV which is great :) 

2 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

That looks a very nice car, although I would miss the PDK.

2 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Looks nice and guards red is a stunning colour in the flesh.

A bit lacking on extras for a GTS but looks very well priced considering, the GTS comes standard with some nice bits anyway I guess.

let us know how you get on 👍

9 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

You know I felt exactly the same, I think I'd have put it to the bottom of my colour choices, I thought it a bit too "look at me" then a car come up in a great spec in Guards so I went to have a look at it and was definitely more taken in by it in the flesh and the spec and condition was as good as I had seen in my search so with a bit of trepidation I went ahead and bought it .  I was still a bit doubtful 2-3 weeks in but then it started to grow on me, the fact so many people comment on it and say that they love the colour and the car is gorgeous really starts making you wonder why you were doubtful in the first place and now 3 months in I really like it and when the time comes to replace it (hopefully with a lovely GTS like you have in this link)  I'd have it in red in a heartbeat, The GTS looks even better in red I think as it has plenty of black highlights that provide great contrast and really makes the car pop.. Good luck with your viewing it looks absolutely stunning👍

Edited by mr.tourette23
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

This is the GTS I’m looking at, I’m just not sure I could live with red.

I would never have thought I could drive a brightly coloured car before I got a Speed Yellow 986, having never even had a red car before. In 15 years I only ever had good comments about it (at least to my face) - and I was surprised how many strangers would compliment it. I dare say it might depend where in the country you are, but I'd say don't rule it out just because of the colour.